Another fish I like - Silver Tip Tetra

1. AnnaEA Member Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1581

Unlike most tetras I've looked, this one seems like it would be more comfortable with the alkaline water I've got.

So, another option for my 'school' tank, if I decide to go that way. A better option then neons or cardinals, it looks like.

And my LFS has these -- though they have them labeled 'gold tetras' *lol*

So far, my LFS is not proving the most reliable folks in terms of using the standard common names for things -- I'm going to have to go latin to make sure I end up with the fish I want.

Anna

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a plan! Those fish are very pretty! ;) ;)

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ug I know how you feel Anna, my tap water pH is like 7.8 or something, as I live in a city on limestone. So my tank pH is always at about 8 :mad:

4. AnnaEA Member Member

Eh. Emma , I know the feeling.

My tank seems stable at 7.8 pH right now -- and that is my tap water cut 50/50 with RO water!

Straight from the tap it tests off the chart for pH, hardness, kH...... on the other hand, even cut 50%, I've still got a 180 kH -- so very very stable water.

*lol*

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I use about half (sometimes more) RO water too...no angelfish or discus for me I guess...

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Hey, my water is probably OVER 8... :-\ I don't use RO water though--anyway, the fish at the lfs live in the same water as mine. Personally, I don't think pH is that important unless you're keeping very delicate fish or breeding, say, tetras. Hey, I've kept 2 Otos without changing the water at all.
    Just a nots, livebearers like hard and alkaline water.

7. AnnaEA Member Member

If our water weren't softened, I'd probably not mess with it.... but I sort of figure that water we can't drink and that kills yeast is probably not good for fish. :mad: It's scary scary water -- if you leave a cup of it out on the counter to evaporate you get salt crystals in the bottom.

On the other hand, as my land lord pointed out when I asked about it, it is less expensive to pay a few bucks more rent a month for the water softener then it would be to move every other year because the pipes need to be replaced because of calcium deposits.

So..... six of one, half a dozen of the other, and I I figure I can afford another buck a month for additional RO water for the tank, on top of what we buy to drink and cook with.