Another Fish Death..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FallenOwl, Apr 12, 2017.

1. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

3 Kuhli loaches
    2 harlequin rasboras
    1 ghost shrimp
    Have died in my 55 gallon tank,
    Parameters are:
    0NI, 0A, 70NA
    I did a 50% water change ,Sunday, to bring down the numbers, I haven't checked again yet.
    Is the high NA the reason for these deaths?
    Temp is 76*F

2. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

What was your water change schedule like?

Have you tested pH or kH?

Nitrate tests are often inaccurate so you could have a lot less or a lot more than 70. Fortunately, nitrate is pretty non-toxic.

Are you using any glutaraldehyde-containing products such as:
    Easy Life Easy Carbo
    Seachem Flourish Excel
    API CO2 Booster
    Azoo Carbon Plus
    Cidex
    Metricide?

3. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

I haven't tested my ph In a while, it stays the same (high). I have well water, not "city water".
    I've never tested kh, I don't have anything that does that..
    I also don't use any of those, the only thing that I put in my tanks are:
    Seachem Flourish (not excel) - a little less than it says to after each water change (I haven't done it in 2 weeks though)
    Tetra-Aquasafe (after each water change
    Water changes are once a week (15-25%)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

Any ideas??

5. RivermonsterValued MemberMember

Any parameters of the well water could of changed, the 50% water change most likely caused it though. Id add the tetrasafe to well water first before adding to tank, temperature match it then add it to tank.
    Did you dose for the tank or pro rata to amount of water you changed?
    Check the ph of well water and your tank first if am, nitr n nitrates are good.
    When you last clean filter? Anything new been added at all ie decor,fish,food,filter- part from flourish?

6. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Your pH is probably quite stable if you have high kH.

Were any of the deceased fish somewhat new? If so, acclimation may have been an issue.

One other suggestion would be to age your water change water. According to a brief Google search, dissolved gases are a problem with well water. I suggest preparing your water change water in a spare tank or other large container. Fill it with cold water only and bring it up to temperature with aquarium heaters while aerating it to encourage off-gassing. Then refill your tank in stages so that any difference in the water is less stressful to the fish.

Even though I have municipal water, I change water this way though I add dechlorinator and test for chlorine levels. In the winter, quite a lot of dissolved gas comes out of solution when the water is heated. If I had put cold water in the tank, I would have put my fish at risk of gas emboli.

7. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

I did the 50% water change after the deaths,
    The deaths were not all at once, more like 1 a day..
    I do temperature match, I give or take 1 degree.
    I try to add the aqua safe to the bucket that I'm using to refill, but with bigger water changes I use a python, so the aqua safe is just added to the tank (it's a 55g tank, I add enough for a 40g tank).
    A small glo-fish decoration was added 2 weeks ago..
    I check the filter every month.
    1-2 weeks ago I got 4 Harlequin rasbora, 3 weeks ago I got 4-7 Kuhli loaches (I forgot how many exactly )
    I acclimate them by letting them sit for 5 minutes, put a cup of tank water in every 10 minutes (5 times).
    I've never had a problem with "off-gassing", but if nothing else is found I will try that.

8. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

It definitely wasn't the acclimation, a Glofish tetra died today.. They have been in the tank for about 3 months now.
    I took the recently added decor out, is there anything else that could be causing this??

9. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

Another Kuhli loach died today, I'm just going to move the remaining 3 to my 10g baby tank.. Whatever it is seems to be affecting them most.
    My DG is also sick, although I don't think it's for the same reason.. I put him in my 10g Qt tank
    Is there anything else it could possibly be!??
    Edit: I just remembered that I switched substrates about 3 weeks ago, I went from gravel to sand..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  10. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

The DG died in the night..
    Another harlequin died this morning-
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  11. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

I may have found it!
    I was cleaning the filter, trying to see if that was the problem, and it was spray painted!! Somebody before me must have spray painted it to look better.. But on the inside!?? I don't know, I'm trying to get it off now. Hopefully that was it (fingers crossed)

12. bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

Spray painted the inside of the filter?

If that was me, I'd toss the filter and buy a new one.
    Who knows what toxins from the paint may have been absorbed by the filter body.

13. FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

I really don't have the money for another filter..
    I'm cleaning it with a small amount of bleach (will be cleaned again to get bleach off).

Edit: Yea! Who does that?? (Painting the inside of a filter)