Another fin rot thread

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know there's been a lot around lately, but I do have a couple questions about Kylers fin rot.

At first, I treated him with BettaFix, which didn't really help with anything.

I moved onto Fungus Clear, which seems to have halted the rot after 2 doses.

I've started the carbon back in the filter, which has taken the meds out of the tank. The water has been kept at 80F, except when my heater failed (dropped to 74F). I quickly got a new one and it has been steady since. Constant aeration has been a part of this as well.

While the rot does seem to have halted, I am worried about a relapse. What all should I be doing to prevent this from happening? Should I do water changes any more often?

If it does happen to return, I plan on starting him on Mardel Maracyn-Two, or Mardel Trisulfa. Is there anything I am missing?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
water changes are good, keep it as clean as you can for regrowth but don't stress him too much with too many changes. Maybe 2x a week? (this sound good to other fishlore members?)

i hear bettafix can help in regrowth but I'd look for giving them vitamins (liquid like Vita-Chem if you can get it) and maybe conditioning their water with something that has helpful things in it like NovAqua+ or Stress Coat if you'd like. What you want to do is strengthen their system & build up the slime coating. i'm sure other members will have good suggestions on what to do besides keeping the water clean & adding vitamins.

NovAqua+:

StressCoat:

VitaChem:

Best of luck with your little guy. Your plan for a possible relapse sounds good.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The vita-chem is a very good choice for regrowth. I use it for my fish now. My little oto Barney was nipped a little bit by RJ and I put him in the hosp. tank when I saw it and he's been recovering nicely. No problems with fin rot at all. I've been putting 3 drops of the vita-chem in his water every other day and it's already half grown back. I have not been using any medicine at all. I think vita-chem is a very good vitamin for them. Natalie

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try and find some Vita-Chem, for now I am using AquaPlus by Hagen. It sounds essentially the same as NovAqua+

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Vita-chem I don't think is sold in Pet stores. At least I haven't seen it in any. I bought it from Drs.fostersmith.com. Natalie

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alright it hasn't even been a full week and this rot is being a stubborn... yeah...

How long should I wait before I can treat with Fungus Clear again? Or should I try something a little more mild/aggressive?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
Alright it hasn't even been a full week and this rot is being a stubborn... yeah...

How long should I wait before I can treat with Fungus Clear again? Or should I try something a little more mild/aggressive?
It's kind of a judgment call on your part, but if the rot hasn't progressed too far, I'd try Fungus Clear one more time before going to Maracyn-2 if necessary.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is definitely a relapse... stubborn little... the tips of his tail were looking okay this morning, but after getting home from work, low and behold he's got a slight black coloration on the tips of his tail.

The thing that really baffles me about this whole thing is that it has only affected his tail, all of his other fins are fine. Is this normal? (As far as normal fin rot goes)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
Yeah this is definitely a relapse... stubborn little... the tips of his tail were looking okay this morning, but after getting home from work, low and behold he's got a slight black coloration on the tips of his tail.

The thing that really baffles me about this whole thing is that it has only affected his tail, all of his other fins are fine. Is this normal? (As far as normal fin rot goes)
It can be. I wish I could figure fin rot out, it's one pain in the butt disease and we hate it. Hope the Fungus Clear gets rid of all rot this time.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I started Fungus Clear in Kyler's tank tonight, should I use Bettafix or anything else immediately after I finish treatment? I looked around the store tonight and I did find stress coat, but after reading it over and over again it is essentially the same thing that I use now, so I will keep using Aqua Plus.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
I started Fungus Clear in Kyler's tank tonight, should I use Bettafix or anything else immediately after I finish treatment? I looked around the store tonight and I did find stress coat, but after reading it over and over again it is essentially the same thing that I use now, so I will keep using Aqua Plus.
I've heard bettafix being recommended after finishing a course of meds so you could add it after the 1st or 2nd treatment of fungus clear, depending on if you put the 2nd dose in. Vitachem is also something that could be helpful in fin regrowth - it's at the DFS website. I like to use NovAqua+ also.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well it's almost time to take Kyler off the Fungus Clear, it looks again like it has halted but I really don't want it to come back again... Would it be okay to give him another dose of fungus clear? Or should I start him on bettafix?

I really don't want this coming back to bite him in the butt again...

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to give him another dose of the Fungus if you think it came to a halt. Try the Bettafix and see what happens. Just be careful with it please. I definitely recommend getting the Vitachem from DFS and use that in the future instead of theBettafix. It's much better for them. It's not that expensive and it's worth it. Natalie

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
See that's the thing... I thought it was halted last time but it was only a couple days and it came back.

Maybe I'll just give him another dose and get Vita-Chem, and hope it's here for when the Fungus Clear is done...

I'm not sure which to get though, 4 or 16 oz... Will I use enough to get a 16oz before it expires?

I'm almost out of my AquaPlus, but am really wondering what would be best to use as a conditioner next, NovAqua or StressCoat... what's the difference? If any? I've read all the labels and they all sound like they do the same thing, just have slightly different ingredients.

Anything else I should get from DFS?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd go with the 4 oz & see how much of it you use. we're going to order a 4 oz and see how long it lasts to be sure we can use up a 16 oz before buying it.

They're pretty similiar products.. usually it seems to come down to what brand someone trusts more. Both are good brands, but I feel a little more confident in the Kordon products and would go with NovAqua+.

So many goodies at DFS, it's hard to keep it to a page or 2 what's there to order. For Kyler's current situation, if you feel the possible need for it - you could order stronger meds like fungus eliminator, maracyn & maracyn-2, sulfa or binox but it sounds like he's not going to need them, just the vitachem to help regrow his lost finnage.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Success! I found a store that carries Vita-Chem in 4oz so I bought it. $17.99 but when you factor in the US-CDN conversion and shipping from DFS it all works out closely, and I don't need to wait now. I also landed some NovAqua+ on sale. So hopefully all will be well in Bettaland

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool! Good luck with it! Natalie

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
How often should I add the NovAqua+... I was adding AquaPlus every few days, should I just follow that with this product?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom