Another Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Jhurst, Apr 15, 2018.

1. J

Jhurst New Member Member

I want to add more filtration to my 75g, to minimize maintenance and maximize my bioload. I currently have a cascade 1000 in my tank i was thinking about purchasing another one..and adding it. Thoughts?

2. C

Charlie Reel New Member Member

You can never have too much filtration. The filter you have is good up to 100 gallons. Maybe an HOB is better for what you want to do. Just my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jhurst New Member Member

I dont have enough room for a HOB between the wall and tank. I wish i did, i have a HOB here im not using

4. I

ILLBETHEJUDGE Valued Member Member

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If you've got the room, and money, then go for it.

6. clubtc05

clubtc05 New Member Member

I would add another Penn Plax to it or if you don't mind different intake and outtake tubes go with the Sun Sun, you'll get more GPH.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Jhurst New Member Member

8. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

It does ... but it's worse than useless. It's 9 watts and the SunSun claims a 525 GPH flow rate. That's 350 % beyond a 9-watt U/V's capability to even control simply free-floating algae. That U/V is a marketing gimmic only - the SunSun pumps way too fast and the organisms don't get enough exposure to the U/V to do anything. But SunSun has a lot of people spending money on replacement bulbs every six months - for a U/V that does nothing.

And that's why you'll see people "pooh-poohing" U/V on forums like this saying it does nothing. Well, when you have only a 9-watt U/V and the water flowing through it is 525 gph - IT IS doing nothing. U/V has to be thought out and very often, it can't be associated with a canister unless you do it like I do - and slow the canister down. I 57-watt U/V attached to an Eheim 2215 that is slowed to 50 gph. It is quite the offensive weapon against algae AND parasites.

If you like the Cascade 1000 - another one on the tank I think would be a good thing plus the replacement parts and media floss / sponge are the same. I would recommend going up to the 1500 ... but there the parts and filtration media aren't the same. So buying another C-1000 would make things really simple for you.

And no, I don't think another canister on your tank is "overkill" - you can handle it, though you may have to use some discharge reduction strategies to keep current flow in the tank down but it's highly doable. The extra canister gives you a lot of additional "bio-buffer" and will make the tank more biologically stable.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice