Another Easy to Grow Green For You, Your Shrimp and Snails

Renaissanista

Sweet Potato Vine.
Just bury some organic sweet potatoes in the ground and wait for Shrimp food.
Comes up when it gets hot.

Ornamental also is edible.

My shrimp and snails like it.
And like chard, it is lower in oxalic acid which sometimes can inhibit calcium absorption.

The girls in my harem like it......

Best Answer - View qldmick's answer

qldmick

Nice I have some growing out the back of my tank.

I wonder if my cherax albidus crays would like it?

Renaissanista

Very cool! It's worth a try.

FishRFriendz

I eat the leaves myself when I get around to trimming it back off the cement. They also make nice flowers if they get enough sun.

Renaissanista

I hope mine bloom like that.
I need to find a recipe for the leaves.

barbiespoodle

Another great shrimp food idea to add to my list. I am so loving this post, thanks for starting it. It has really got my mind going with all the possibilities.

Last year I bought some potted sweet potatoes at an end of season sale at a small local nursery and enjoyed growing them for my own consumption, made a fantastic sweet potato pie, plus freshly harvested sweet potatoes seem to have so much flavor than the stored ones you buy at the store, they do get starchier as they are stored.

This year, as an experiment, I grew my own sweet potato slips from putting two types of sweet potatoes in water, got around 5 or more slips per potato and some of those slips grew enough that I buried the leaf nodes and have even more plants, now have some in the veggie garden and some potted to see which does the best. So far the ones in large storage bins full of organic compost are doing the best, but will have to wait until fall to see which actually produce better. Remember, I started with about $3.00 of sweet potatoes and now have about 30 plants and if they do as well as they did last year, than I should end up with at least 50 or more pounds of sweet potatoes.

I also love the look of the sweet potato vine as emersed roots, they really are pretty vines. Personally I think if I do that, it will be from the multitude of ornamental sweet potatoes I have in my container gardens, harvest the tubers this fall and then grow them on in the tanks. Like how pretty is it going to be this winter with chartreuse vines mixed in with the pothos and angel wing begonia's? And then those sweet potatoes can go out into the ornamental gardens for the summer and then back to the tanks in the winter. My mind is really reeling right now with the possibilities, free shrimp food, pretty decoration and free summer container plants.

P.S. I sure wouldn't mind the blooms, never had them. But considering sweet potatoes are in the morning glory family, I can understand why the blooms are so beautiful.

barbiespoodle

Looking back on the post, I clicked the link about sweet potato leaves are edible greens. Never knew that, will be something I'll be exploring since I do love my greens.

To add to the list, being a southern girl in the north, I've had to grow my own greens and I always put in a thick patch of turnips. I thin them out by pulling them out for turnip greens done the southern way and if there are some small turnips as I do, all the better. Once thinned enough for turnips to grow, I still pick the younger leaves to get my dose of southern greens (my hubby won't touch them so I don't need much), let the turnips grow on, harvest most of the turnips for mashing, roasting or in beef stew, let some over winter to produce early spring greens and then seeds to start the whole thing over again.

Wonder what shrimp think of turnip greens? Oh well, guess it don't matter, being selfish this time, my turnip greens are for me, lol.

Renaissanista

They like radish greens more but will eat turnip in my experience.

My first year growing sweet sweet potatoes.

I have always had ornamental, but this year my parents put me in a garden plot so I had room.

After reading your reply. I'm more exciting about trying fresh sweet potatoes.

Right now I'm trying to catch some kittens that showed up in my backyard.
Caught one but now it's loose in my house and I can't find it! Lol.

barbiespoodle

Got to laugh at you rena about the kitten. 18 years ago some stray cat dropped a kitten while moving her litter and my hubby found it screaming in a neighbors bush. After a lot of work and more than a few scratches, some from the kitten, some from reaching in the bush, he managed to catch a hind end ugly tiny black kitten, it couldn't have been more than 4 weeks old.

When I got home from work he thrushes it at me. It was hissing and spitting and I'm like, OMG that is one ugly kitten, I didn't want anything to do with it. Of course my soft heart soon had me cooing over it :rolleyes: .

At first I put it in a dog crate, I could tell it was born feral and knew I'd never see it again if I just let it loose in the house. Everyday I would take it out of the crate, lay on the couch and try to tame it. Everyday for over a week it would do everything it could to get away. I was about to give up and then one day as it was trying to escape, it suddenly stopped, turned and looked at me, something finally clicked in his little pea brain because he then ran full speed up under my chin, started purring and fell asleep, he's been my cat ever since.

Now he's going on 18 years old, still a hind end ugly cat, even uglier in old age, and I'm going to cry my eyes out when I lose him even though I know it's getting close to that time, he's really showing his age a lot lately.

His name is Salem because he was found just before halloween. And I don't mind when this black cat crosses my path.

Renaissanista

Black cats have nice personalities in my experience with all these strays. My parents took in one. I call him Fudgie. My dad calls him Zoro. he's sooooo sweet.

What an adorable story, how he just changed his mind like that.

I caught 2 kittens and sent them to the no kill shelter. ( I'm allergic to cats). One was a hisser.
The other one is still loose in my house.
I have seen no sign but food is out.

It's pitch black.
I still have the mom and one baby to catch yet. They are pretty gray cats with white.

I want them safe before winter and not breeding in this stray abundant neighborhood.

Renaissanista

Did you know black male cats cause the most allergic reaction?

It's totally true. I can attest personally.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom