Another disaster

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

My brand new 4 slot divided tank is proving to be a nightmare!
    Here is my betta Rain after Goldy jumped the glass in-between them and
    obviously attacked Rains tail :(
    http://imgur.com/pQglx4K
    I was sitting at my desk on my computer and looked over to admire my boys
    and noticed Goldie swimming in the second compartment with Rain, i dont think
    ive ever moved so fast. What a disaster
    First question is, now his tail is badly ripped and has holes in it how do i care for
    him? I feel terrible for him.
    I have no idea how Goldy got through a gap of 1.5cm between the top of the glass
    divider and the glass lid! Im now terrified the others will do the same. I tried taking
    water out of the tank but then the air pipe was above water level, so i had to put the
    water back in. I now have no idea how to stop this from happening again. Please,
    dose anyone have any suggestions?

2. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Although not aesthetically pleasing, maybe you could try putting filter foam in that 1.5 cm gap between the top of glass. I'd just use that cheap, course black media you can find pretty much anywhere. It's inexpensive and you could cut slits into it and fit it for the gaps.

As to how to care for it? Someone has a thread going where they adopted a betta with virtually no back tail left after a betta fight, so yours is definitely not horrible. It's called Urgent: Beat Up Betta. There you will find lots of of information on how to care for your betta.

3. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe make a taller tank divider and make sure they can see each other through it. I'd just do a waterchange every day and it should heal on its own. I'm sorry this happened, did Goldy get injured as well?

4. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Silister, thats a great idea thank you! Its after hours here in Australia so i have averted the emergency by placing a lid from a smaller tank over the dividers for tonight which should suffice. I will visit the pet store in the morning and try to work something out like you mentioned :) And i will pop over to that other thread about the tail and see what i can find there ta..

Hi Platy, i tried tin foil but was afraid they would cut or injure themselves, i tried plastic wrap and that just fell into the water and might have suffocated them as well, so a smaller lid from another tank did the job for tonight.
    Goldy hasn't got a scratch on him or anything, Rain has a couple of bite marks on his body but they are not to bad, as well as his tail. Rain is a very peaceful betta, Goldy would not have faired so well had he jumped in with the other 2 i have though, Bluey and Dags, they are much more aggressive. Thank you :)

5. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

You may also want to look into dividers that effectively blind your bettas from seeing each other. I know they sell some cheap black acrylic sheets on Amazon that might prevent this and wouldn't look horrible. This might completely prevent their urge to attack and get into the other dividers where your other bettas are. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of, "if they can't see each other, they aren't there" sort of thing. This way you could custom cut to fit your tank.

Maybe a future project if you fancy it. I know my GF's betta goes crazy at it's own reflection, so maybe would reduce that urge to fight - and stress - if they aren't allowed to know another betta is right next to it?

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

7. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Silister, i went to the pet store this morning and as advised got an off cut of some filter media like you suggested. It makes the tank look odd but my fish are now safe for the time being. The owner of the pet store is going to make something better for it in time. Here's what it looks like now:
    http://imgur.com/zZoSySp
    I like your suggestion to block their view of each other too and will work towards finding something locally that might work for me.
    My injured betta seems to be ok today, his acting normally so thats a great sign!
    Thanks for your help :)

Wow he really did cop a beating, poor thing. My betta isnt half as bad as that but still it was enough to make me panic. Ive now fixed the problem for the time being so fingers crossed its smooth sailing from now on!

I had a funny. I noticed Goldy down the bottom of the tank sniffing under the lip of the divider. It got the better of me so i googled do fish have a nose, and
    it turns out they do lol So i guess his sniffing under there trying to plan his next escape! Thankfully the gap is to tiny for such things but i think its very cheeky of him. :)

8. MinhMai Member Member

I swiped the screen on the link and...LOL

Back to topic. Doesn't look too bad on the fins. Melafix or Bettafix might help him heal a little faster. Very mild tea tree oil ointment is all it is basically.

9. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Since it's not too bad you may wanna just keep the water clean and let him heal. Adding medicine into the whole tank will affect the fish that aren't injured. jdhef's advice sounds good

10. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Good idea Cody, thanks again! :)

11. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Not bad! Hopefully it will stop any future attacks until you figure out something pleasing to the eye. I've honestly found that filter media useful as temporary solutions more times than I can count.. Not to mention whenever starting a new tank I'll add it to existing filters to help seed new ones.