Another cycling question.

oatmeal

Reaction score
I recently got a 29 gallon aquarium and used my goldfish tank as a seeder. I used gravel, month old filter carbon, and washed out the filter pad in the water. My ammonia source is 10% ammonia. Well, it only took 3 days to start the cycle (refer to image). However, because of how quickly the nitrites and nitrates popped up, I am now at a loss for what to do next. I have never had a tank begin cycling in this short amount of time.

Advice for the next step would be appreciated. Thanks!
20200327_182623.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Inner10 said:
Put some fish in it...what else would ya do lol.
that's if they want to continute a fish in cycle..

are you going to dose with ammonia to keep the cycle going ?

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:

Why don't you read his post?

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Water change and fish seems like the next step you will need an ammonia source or the cycle will crash.

OP
O

oatmeal

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:

Yes. Due to COVID, I am currently awaiting the arrival of my light from amazon, so I may have to keep the cycle going artificially until it arrives. Depends on now long it takes to fully cycle. I already have the fish (his tank is the one I used for seeding) but I'd hate to move him before I can get plants/lights in.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
oatmeal said:
Yes. Due to COVID, I am currently awaiting the arrival of my light from amazon, so I may have to keep the cycle going artificially until it arrives. Depends on now long it takes to fully cycle. I already have the fish (his tank is the one I used for seeding) but I'd hate to move him before I can get plants/lights in.
Your tank is almost cycled but it looks like you dosed the ammonia a little heavy. Once your ammonia level is down and nitrites are down just toss some fish in there. With your current levels I'm thinking you may need a partial water change or else those nitrates are going to end up being really high.

At this point I'd assume you are about 3-4 days away from a complete cycle.

A few days without ammonia isn't going to kill the bacteria, it's just not advisable to leave it unfed for a while.

OP
O

oatmeal

Reaction score
Inner10 said:
At this point I'd assume you are about 3-4 days away from a complete cycle.

A few days without ammonia isn't going to kill the bacteria, it's just not advisable to leave it unfed for a while.
I would agree with having gone heavy. Thanks for the advice, my previous cycle went in the typical stages. Ammonia, nitrite comes up, then nitrates. Wasn't expecting to already have nitrates but I guess that's the beauty of seeding.

Much appreciated :)

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oatmeal said:
I would agree with having gone heavy. Thanks for the advice, my previous cycle went in the typical stages. Ammonia, nitrite comes up, then nitrates. Wasn't expecting to already have nitrates but I guess that's the beauty of seeding.

I think one reason it might have gone so fast is cuz you seeded it from a goldfish tank..... I mean they are messy fish so maybe there was even more bacteria lol.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
oatmeal said:

If you seed a tank well it's basically cycled and good to go. I would have just added fish after that.

New Threads