Another cycling question.

oatmeal

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
I recently got a 29 gallon aquarium and used my goldfish tank as a seeder. I used gravel, month old filter carbon, and washed out the filter pad in the water. My ammonia source is 10% ammonia. Well, it only took 3 days to start the cycle (refer to image). However, because of how quickly the nitrites and nitrates popped up, I am now at a loss for what to do next. I have never had a tank begin cycling in this short amount of time.

Advice for the next step would be appreciated. Thanks!
20200327_182623.jpg
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,523
Reaction score
1,557
Experience
4 years
Inner10 said:
Put some fish in it...what else would ya do lol.
that's if they want to continute a fish in cycle..

are you going to dose with ammonia to keep the cycle going ?
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
Blueberrybetta said:
that's if they want to continute a fish in cycle..

are you going to dose with ammonia to keep the cycle going ?
Why don't you read his post?
 

Donthemon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,102
Reaction score
754
Location
Sacramento, CA
Experience
4 years
Water change and fish seems like the next step you will need an ammonia source or the cycle will crash.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
O

oatmeal

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Blueberrybetta said:
that's if they want to continute a fish in cycle..

are you going to dose with ammonia to keep the cycle going ?
Yes. Due to COVID, I am currently awaiting the arrival of my light from amazon, so I may have to keep the cycle going artificially until it arrives. Depends on now long it takes to fully cycle. I already have the fish (his tank is the one I used for seeding) but I'd hate to move him before I can get plants/lights in.
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
oatmeal said:
Yes. Due to COVID, I am currently awaiting the arrival of my light from amazon, so I may have to keep the cycle going artificially until it arrives. Depends on now long it takes to fully cycle. I already have the fish (his tank is the one I used for seeding) but I'd hate to move him before I can get plants/lights in.
Your tank is almost cycled but it looks like you dosed the ammonia a little heavy. Once your ammonia level is down and nitrites are down just toss some fish in there. With your current levels I'm thinking you may need a partial water change or else those nitrates are going to end up being really high.

At this point I'd assume you are about 3-4 days away from a complete cycle.

A few days without ammonia isn't going to kill the bacteria, it's just not advisable to leave it unfed for a while.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
O

oatmeal

New Member
Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Inner10 said:
At this point I'd assume you are about 3-4 days away from a complete cycle.

A few days without ammonia isn't going to kill the bacteria, it's just not advisable to leave it unfed for a while.
I would agree with having gone heavy. Thanks for the advice, my previous cycle went in the typical stages. Ammonia, nitrite comes up, then nitrates. Wasn't expecting to already have nitrates but I guess that's the beauty of seeding.

Much appreciated :)
 

flyinGourami

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,580
Reaction score
3,261
Location
My house
Experience
Just started
oatmeal said:
I would agree with having gone heavy. Thanks for the advice, my previous cycle went in the typical stages. Ammonia, nitrite comes up, then nitrates. Wasn't expecting to already have nitrates but I guess that's the beauty of seeding.

Much appreciated :)
I think one reason it might have gone so fast is cuz you seeded it from a goldfish tank..... I mean they are messy fish so maybe there was even more bacteria lol.
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
oatmeal said:
I would agree with having gone heavy. Thanks for the advice, my previous cycle went in the typical stages. Ammonia, nitrite comes up, then nitrates. Wasn't expecting to already have nitrates but I guess that's the beauty of seeding.

Much appreciated :)
If you seed a tank well it's basically cycled and good to go. I would have just added fish after that.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
271
Guests online
3,445
Total visitors
3,716

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom