Another Crazy Idea!

Discussion in 'bolivianbaby' started by bolivianbaby, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

We have the two guinea pigs, Oreo and Fidget (he had too much energy to be a Buddha). I'm still working on upgrading their cage size, but I want a backup plan in case I totally mess up their cage.

Anyways, their litter gets 100% changed twice a week. Within 24 hours of cleaning the cage, it's messy with poop. I can't stand the thought of the precious little piggies walking around in their own poop. Ariel kept his in certain areas so this wasn't an issue for him.

Today, I put two litter boxes in the cage and I'm hoping to litter box train them.

Not sure how it's going to work, but I guess we'll see. On a guinea pig forum, there were threads saying that cavys can be litter box trained.

Wish me luck!

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Oh Good luck and keep us posted!!

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

:;rlyou are too much crazy zoo lady~!
    but if ANYONE can do it, YOU can!:;nw

4. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

I may have to put doors on them with pictures of a little boy guinea pig:)

Whatcha think?:;laughing

5. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

How big is the cage? I got a 4 level cage that was the house of our Chinchilla and then our 2 little guinea pigs but we had to give them away.

6. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

It's 60" x 30".

7. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

That is a great idea. Good luck with it. It's would be great and super handy if they would go where they are suppose to go..lol. Much easier clean up and I'm betting they will like it too.

8. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Is pretty big. They should be ok there. I saw on Petsmart a potty training thing for rats and rodents. You can try that.

9. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

UPDATE: Oreo is interested in being litter box trained and has been fully cooperating. Fidget-not so much.

However, I'll gladly clean one litter box daily if it keeps their home cleaner in between bi-weekly cleanings. Maybe one day, it'll be both of them.

I kinda thought this was a shot in the dark, but I guess I was only 1/2 right:)

10. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Glad at least one is cooperating! GOOD Oreo :clapping: I'm sure Fidget will do the same too. Don't worry! You're a good momma :;rocker

11. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hopefully Fidget will learn from Oreo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice