Another Cory ID question

Mikedick77

Picked up 8 at the lfs today. She got in 8, I took them all before she acclimated. $1.99 US for each, she just called them Pygmy Corydoras, but I'm not sure what type they really are. They look real young. About 1/2"-3/4". Any help with type, adult size, anything I should know about special dietary needs would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a 5 pack of pygmy albino, and a 6 pack of pygmy panda's in separate 20 gallon tanks already, so I guess are these any different care-wise?

Attachments

Demeter

Corydoras pygmaeus so yes, pygmy corries.

chromedome52

That is a Corydoras pygmaeus, the true Pygmy Cory. Once they settle into the tank, they are going to shoal together at midwater levels. They do not root around for food very often, and are best fed small foods, like baby brine shrimp.

I am not aware of any Pygmy Corydoras species with an albino form, so those are probably just young specimens of one of the larger species that do have albino forms. Pandas are a normally small species of Corydoras, usually topping out around 2 inches, but nothing that would normally be called "Pygmy".

DoubleDutch

chromedome52 said:
That is a Corydoras pygmaeus, the true Pygmy Cory. Once they settle into the tank, they are going to shoal together at midwater levels. They do not root around for food very often, and are best fed small foods, like baby brine shrimp.

I am not aware of any Pygmy Corydoras species with an albino form, so those are probably just young specimens of one of the larger species that do have albino forms. Pandas are a normally small species of Corydoras, usually topping out around 2 inches, but nothing that would normally be called "Pygmy".
There are (is) C.pygmaeus albino, but not in the trade yet.

I am concerned about this Pygmaeus (hoping it isnonly adapting).and.worried about the gravel (mainly for the pandas).
Think about swapping or.making a sand beach for them.

What are you goijg to feed them.OP?

Mikedick77

Thank you all for the input and verification. We do a nightly cube of frozen brine split among the 5 tanks. Also we put the sinking pellets in daily as the guppies seem to like them too, and end up stealing some. We rotate any other food we give all the fish, dried blood worms, dried shrimp, fancy guppy food, the occasional piece of algae wafer, and flakes in the fry tanks only.

As for the Panda's, they've been in that tank since the beginning of August, all are healthy looking and regularly are hard at work. It's one of my wife's favorites, so they had to go in one of the 2 main living room tanks. I would definitely be reading into the sandy beach thing, as quality of life is king in my wife and I's books. Also she had mentioned wanting to do a beach looking theme :)

DoubleDutch said:
I am concerned about this Pygmaeus (hoping it isnonly adapting).
Regarding this, it was about 20 minutes into the tank at that point, so yeah, he was still adapting in the tank. We did about a 45 minute drip acclimate on the 3 containers at once for the separate tanks they had to go in. Was kinda a kitchen counter circus!

Here's some of the Pandas doing their thing.

Attachments

Mazeus

Mikedick77 said:
Here's some of the Pandas doing their thing.
Doubledutch is the expert, but they look a bit thin to me (could just be the photographs though).

Mikedick77

They're about 1 1/2". All the Pandas and even the Albino's I got are 1"-1 1/2". I usually intentionally pick small. I like seeing these guys grow with the tank. I'm definitely looking into the sand though. Wife and I have a trip to the lfs planned for today to look through some Endlers.

Mikedick77

Today was Vacuum day, tank out the fake plants, decorations, clean up the filter setup, heaters, air stones, and my big WC for the month (Usually 10-20% every week, big is considered 25-40%) on all 5 tanks. We pulled some gravel from the Panda tank, and put in about 3-4lb of sand bought at the LFS. We made about 1/3 of the bottom of the 20 gallon a sandy beach for those guys. This is considered a "pilot" for doing the sand thing for all the cory's. I assume guppies wont have issues with sand, nor will the Siamese Algae eaters I employ 1 of in every tank? The look of sand is so much cleaner, i'll give it that! Wife wants all sand in every tank now. I'll post up a pic or 2 of what I did with it once it gets done being cloudy. (Sorry, I cant show a messy house! :) )

Still gotta test all 5 tanks and document also... Hate that part! I found testing on the counter using the "Alexa, make a 5 minute timer" and having everything laid out streamlines the process. Bout a half hour to do all 5 tanks.

Thanks for the advice on the sand though. I'm thinking there are some nice themes to be had with sand.

DoubleDutch

Mikedick77 said:
They're about 1 1/2". All the Pandas and even the Albino's I got are 1"-1 1/2". I usually intentionally pick small. I like seeing these guys grow with the tank. I'm definitely looking into the sand though. Wife and I have a trip to the lfs planned for today to look through some Endlers.
Did I misunderstand? To me you don't have albinos.

Mikedick77

Albinos are in a different 20 gallon with endlers. The panda's are in a 20 gallon with fancy guppies. The pygmy Cory's are in a 10 gallon with 7 juvenile Full Gold Guppies I hope to get offspring from in the future.

DoubleDutch

Mikedick77 said:
Albinos are in a different 20 gallon with endlers. The panda's are in a 20 gallon with fancy guppies. The pygmy Cory's are in a 10 gallon with 7 juvenile Full Gold Guppies I hope to get offspring from in the future.
Ahhhh you got some C.aeneus albino ?

Mikedick77

I believe so. I'll get some pics of those too when I get one of the sand thing we did today to test the waters. I'll have them up within the hour.

Mikedick77

So here's a pic of what I believe is an Albino. Still relatively new to this, so i'm not totally sure. Also one of Pandas enjoying the sand, and a total view of how it sits. We plan to go all sand now. Looks so much cleaner.

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Mikedick77 said:
So here's a pic of what I believe is an Albino. Still relatively new to this, so i'm not totally sure. Also one of Pandas enjoying the sand, and a total view of how it sits. We plan to go all sand now. Looks so much cleaner.
Yep C.aeneus albino

MySquishy

All your cories are so cute, OP! Love the beach theme idea.

Unrelated question: I thought one couldn’t put seashells in a freshwater tank. Did you have to do something special to keep them from leaching calcium?

Mikedick77

MySquishy said:
All your cories are so cute, OP! Love the beach theme idea.

Unrelated question: I thought one couldn’t put seashells in a freshwater tank. Did you have to do something special to keep them from leaching calcium?
I didn't know they leached Calcium... I do toss in a wonder shell every week in each of my tanks. I'm thinking I may have to eliminate those in the next version of the tank.

MySquishy

Mikedick77 said:
I didn't know they leached Calcium... I do toss in a wonder shell every week....
I’m not sure if all shells do/ or do enough to matter—it’s just something I thought I read somewhere.

I’m a newbie, asking b/c I don’t know!

MySquishy

According to google there are different opinions...
0A545AFF-8566-4CCB-ABF8-A1C7342067CF.png
If your fish are happy I guess it’s ok.

Mikedick77

Well, I have mostly guppies and endlers. They prefer a 7.6 PH and hard water. I'm doing my water tests today, so i'll see if there's a trend. I started documenting my tests 3 weeks ago.

Top Bottom