Another beginner Question...changing substrate?

Ladyy
So i have a 29 gallon.. Completely cycled.. And when i set up the tank i bought blue gravel.. Cause..well i like blue.. And nowww.. I despise the blue gravel and want to change to a more natural color or sand..

Best steps to change it...and go..

Thank You

mattgirl
How long has this tank been cycled? If just recently completed I would live with the blue gravel a while longer. If it has been 6 months or more you may experience a mini cycle. You will be removing a significant amount of bacteria by removing the gravel. The bacteria removed should be replaced quickly though if you have plenty of other things in the tank holding bacteria and you have sufficient filter media in your filter that hasn't been cleaned recently.

Ladyy
mattgirl said:
How long has this tank been cycled? If just recently completed I would live with the blue gravel a while longer. If it has been 6 months or more you may experience a mini cycle. You will be removing a significant amount of bacteria by removing the gravel. The bacteria removed should be replaced quickly though if you have plenty of other things in the tank holding bacteria and you have sufficient filter media in your filter that hasn't been cleaned recently.
Well I guess im stuck with the blue... Lol.. Its only been cycled for about 1 month.. I have live plants... And decor.. I can wait lol just didnt realize how bad it would look.. As i learn.. I know not to buy that stuff anymore... Work in progress lol

mattgirl
Ladyy said:
Well I guess im stuck with the blue... Lol.. Its only been cycled for about 1 month.. I have live plants... And decor.. I can wait lol just didnt realize how bad it would look.. As i learn.. I know not to buy that stuff anymore... Work in progress lol
we just don't know what we don't know when we first get into this hobby. Thankfully this is something that can eventually be changed out. I really wouldn't recommend disrupting the cycle at this point.

JettsPapa
You could always change out 1/3 or so, wait a couple weeks, and repeat until all the blue gravel is gone.

ValkyrieLips
I changed my substrate after about 3 months and I didn't experience a mini cycle. I did have a lot of established filter media in my HOB so that definitely helped a lot. I'm not sure what kind of filter you're running but if you have a HOB I would suggest stuffing it with as much media as possible and let it run for a couple of months before changing the substrate.

flopperfrog
Ladyy said:
what you could do is add another layer on top of what you want, and then pull the plant up a little so theyre level, as well as with your decor.
that way you don't lose any bb and you have the natural look you want
if you add 1-2 inches of the other substrate im sure it will cover up the blue
you could also slowly remove the blue and add natural substrate in its place and eventually it will get to the plants roots is the only place remaining so you can just cap it with the substrate and not disrupt the plants

Ladyy
There is quite a bit of blue so im.not sure i could cover it.. I am hoping i can change it out alittle at a time.. I will probably just change it to some pea pebble nothing as drastic as sand..

mattgirl
yep, that is a bright blue I really like your decor. Changing out a section at a time shouldn't affect your cycle as much as changing it all at once. Great suggestion JettsPapa

One other thing I would do is add a background to hide the wires and HOB filter. Add a black background and it might help tone down the blue. I could be wrong but I also think fish are more comfortable when they can't see out all 4 sides of our tanks.

Ladyy
mattgirl said:
yep, that is a bright blue I really like your decor. Changing out a section at a time shouldn't affect your cycle as much as changing it all at once. Great suggestion JettsPapa

One other thing I would do is add a background to hide the wires and HOB filter. Add a black background and it might help tone down the blue. I could be wrong but I also think fish are more comfortable when they can't see out all 4 sides of our tanks.
I will definitely look into getting a background.. I will probably wait and change the gravel later on.. I dont want to mess things up.. I appreciate a the suggestions.. I am new to this and learning as i go.. I have a 55 gallon im gonna start setting up this week.. I am using black diamond blasting sand in it and i am pretty stoked lol.. Maybe a black background for that too

mattgirl
Ladyy said:
I will definitely look into getting a background.. I will probably wait and change the gravel later on.. I dont want to mess things up.. I appreciate a the suggestions.. I am new to this and learning as i go.. I have a 55 gallon im gonna start setting up this week.. I am using black diamond blasting sand in it and i am pretty stoked lol.. Maybe a black background for that too
Black sand and background to match should really make plants and fish shine

Ladyy
mattgirl said:
Black sand and background to match should really make plants and fish shine
Im so excited lol

mattgirl
Ladyy said:
Im so excited lol
I am excited for you. Please share pictures with us when you can.

Ladyy
mattgirl said:
I am excited for you. Please share pictures with us when you can.
I definitely will once i get all my plants and stuff delivered and get it all together.. Gotta let it run a cycle before i even think about fish... I have no idea what im gonna put in lol

flopperfrog
Ladyy said:
There is quite a bit of blue so im.not sure i could cover it.. I am hoping i can change it out alittle at a time.. I will probably just change it to some pea pebble nothing as drastic as sand..
well i mean like when theres not very much left expect the gravel around the plants, you dont want to uproot them so you can just put gravel over

Ladyy
flopperfrog said:
well i mean like when theres not very much left expect the gravel around the plants, you dont want to uproot them so you can just put gravel over
Rigggght... Thanks so much

mattgirl
The main problem with adding gravel over gravel is the unwanted color will end up mixed with the color we want and it will stick out like a sore thumb. Please don't ask me how I know this

Ladyy
mattgirl said:
The main problem with adding gravel over gravel is the unwanted color will end up mixed with the color we want and it will stick out like a sore thumb. Please don't ask me how I know this
I understand that.
mattgirl said:
55 gallon.. Havent received my plants, sunken titanic, hardscape, driftwood, plants yet lol.. But I'm still excited hahah..

Backblast72
Ladyy said:
Well if you want to leave the gravel you could put a small cap of sand on top of the gravel. This way you would cover up the blue and get the look of a sand substrate. Plus sand will provide you with a good planting media for your plants. You will have to use root tabs for your plants; but this way you can change the look of the blue. I bought a 50lbs bag of medium grade sand at Home Depot and I paid $7.00 dollars for it. As for the back ground black will look so nice with the green of the plants and the black on the background. It also will calm your fish.

here is a picture of my tank and I have a sand cap and black background.

6B935E84-B063-49E0-AD37-A78109FAE534.jpeg

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom