Another bachelor pad...this time it's "The Meadow"

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bassbonediva, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

So, as I said in my thread about Amun's bachelor pad, I got a really nice AquaTech 5gal tank with integrated filter/light in the hood for $10 off Craigslist this weekend. It's basically a Marineland Eclipse 6, just five gallons instead of six. It's not in as good a shape as I originally thought (needs a new biowheel and needs to be cleaned badly), but it'll work. If I can't get the filter working, I can always get a Whisper 3i at Petsmart and stick it in there as there's an access panel I can remove that'll accomodate power cords and is big enough for the 3i.

Here's the tank:
    468.jpg

Anyway, I had so much fun doing the themed tank for Amun that I've decided to do this as a themed tank as well. I toyed with the idea of an English or Irish countryside, but then Tigerfishy had a brilliant idea. Since Edward is going into this tank because he's a bit too aggressive to be in a divided tank, why not do it as the meadow from Twilight (since Edward is named after Edward Cullen)? After thinking about it for a little bit, I came up with this plan.

I want the tank to looks something like this, but not as bright (more enclosed like in the movies):
    470.jpg

So, when I get paid from this pet sitting gig I have next week (seven days at $10 per day!), I'm going to get a couple of marimo moss balls, some java fern and some cabomba caroliniana, and take a cutting of the massive hornwort plant in my 55gal. The moss balls will be broken apart and spread over the play sand substrate (I still have tons of it leftover from the 55gal, so why not since it's going to be hidden anyway) and weighted down with small pieces of granite to look like boulders. The java fern will go in the middle of the back and the cabomba will go in the corners. The cabomba will be like the trees and the java fern will be like ferns and such. I'll soak some smaller branches of driftwood and put them in to look like fallen logs in the "meadow." The hornwort will float on the surface to lend the tank a darker feel like it's in the middle of an old, dense forest. For the background, I'll try to print out something like this:
    461.jpg

Sound good? Any additional ideas or thoughts? Like I said, I probably won't get started until next week after I get paid for this gig, I just thought I'd see what everyone thought of the plan.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

That sounds amazing! I cant wait to see this one. I wanted to throw in that if you get a 3i you need to get a bigger airpump on it the tinny little one it comes with doesnt do a lot. But also I would just go with a Tom 1-5gal filter from petsmart. Petco might carry them...idk. But those little filters are amazingly good as long as you rinse off the filter sponge every once in a while. Only bad thing is they are not an active carbon filter system. They are just a sponge system. I use both a Tom, and 3i in Plato's 5gal hex flat back. I use the 3i for cleaning the water from oders and colorings. And the Tom is in place for the bacteria so I can change the filter in the 3i as I need which is about every 3-6 months.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  3. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Looks very promising! Look forward to seeing pictures.

4. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Very interesting! I'll be following this one for sure. Good luck with the new tank! :)

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Wow, those are some awesome pics! I'm really looking forward to watching this unfold!

6. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I don't usually use activated carbon in my tanks anyway, since it really doesn't do anything. Is the Tom's filter an internal filter? I don't think I've seen it at my Petsmart, but I'll look. A couple of other options would be the Penn-Plax small world filter (I have one in one of my 10gal and it works really well) or, if it'll fit, I have a Whisper 10i that I could use as well. We'll have to see.

Is there a way to print on a long sheet of paper instead of having to piece together the background? The back wall of the tank is 13" long by 8.5" tall. I'd love to use that pic I put up of an example for the background, but it's taller than it is wide, so I think it might look kinda funny. So, here's a few other pics that I like. Any votes?
    478.jpg
    480.jpg
    483.jpg
    482.jpg
    485.jpg
    488.jpg
    487.jpg

7. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I like number 5! :)

8. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I liked that one too. I think my favorites are 2, 5 and 7.

9. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

4 and 7 :p

10. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I like the coloring on 4 and 6, but I could see not using 6 as a wallpaper because your plants might look kind of odd against a fall backdrop. My only worry about 7 is that it might make the water look cloudy?

11. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ok this might be a stupid idea Paige, but could you print the background on one of those long sheets of printer paper (I think they are 13 by something) and then have it laminated so it is waterproof? Maybe take your pic to Kinko's and see what they could do?

12. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Hmmm...true on both counts. Urgh! I will just have to keep looking through pics of the Olympic National Forest until I find something that'll work (I found those seven on the first two or three pages).

13. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Hmmmm...that actually isn't a bad idea, harpua! lol As soon as I find a pic that'll work well as the background, I'll have to take it to Kinko's and see what they can do for me. Thanks! :D

14. ShineWell Known MemberMember

I like 1 and 7... though I think 7 might be a bit darker then you were talking about originally

they usually refer to the longer sheets of paper as 'legal' size, we have them in our office printers

15. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I think legal size would be perfect, actually. As far as I can tell, legal size paper is 8.5" by 14"...my tank back is 8.5" by 13".

I found a few more pics I really like, but I'm being lazy (and tired) and don't want to upload them right now. :p I found quite a few awesome pics, but most of them had people in them. Urggh!

16. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Aw, did I have a good idea for once?! Even if I did suggest it, your plant ideas make it sound better than my plant ideas! It will be very exciting to see it unfold and I can't wait for the results.
    I like 3 & 7, as 3 kinda looks like the meadow and 7 is like you're looking up through the trees.
    You kinda planned it as I was thinking so, not much to add except that I cannot wait until you get paid lol!!

17. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Yes, you did have a good idea, Tigerfishy! I think I might get a couple of different background pics and print them on my dad's computer (my printer is out of ink) and see which one looks best, then I'll get it printed on the longer paper at Kinko's like harpua suggested.

18. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Yea good plan, my backgrounds generally get soaked from day to day, so laminating is the best plan!
    I really have to look into laminating too, I'm thinking of poss changing a couple backgrounds and it will help protect them for longer.

19. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I haven't had a problem with any of my backgrounds getting wet yet, except a little bit on my 55gal (but I tend to get a little sloppy with that tank when doing water changes). I have just a plain white butcher paper background on the 55gal and the 29gal and the brown butcher paper on Amun's tank.

If you have a smallish tank, I'd recommend just getting regular contact paper and laminating it yourself. That's probably what I'm eventually going to do with the background on Amun's tank (hopefully when I get paid next week). I think maybe on Edward's tank, though, if it isn't too expensive I'm going to have Kinko's do it.

20. AnnadvnWell Known MemberMember

Bassbonediva,

Have you looked at some planted tank pictures from competitions like this  ?

I was looking for inspiration for one of my tanks and though that this one looked like a meadow with the tree line coming to life i could see it blending well with the pictures you chose for the background.

Anna

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice