Another Angelfish Question

Leafy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all! My family has exciting news... we're trading our condo in for a house! Which of course means I'll have room for a brand new 100 gallon tank.

I do not want to have to play musical tanks with my fish, and I will stock the rest of the fish around your answers regarding angelfish. I can't seem to find any good information on this.

If I get two unsexed juveniles, what are the chances of them living peacefully together? I'm hoping, worst comes to worst, that I can have the tank heavily planted in the middle to break their line of sight of each other. I'm assuming I'd need to do that if I ended up with two males. If they pair up, same thing, I'd provide lots of hiding places for the other tank mates. And if it's two females, I'm good to go.

Is this correct? I currently have a female betta sorority tank and was successfully able to overstock to the point where no one has a territory to defend, but there are plenty of plants and hiding spaces to spare. It was a very precise and lucky move. Are angelfish similar? Or am I better off far under-stocking?

Thanks, all!

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@bizaliz3 has around 1.75 million angels. She could probably give you some realistic expectations if she's around this weekend.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would sure hope 2 could get along in a 100 gallon tank. haha. And I am sure they would as long as it is heavily planted...or lots of separate territories.

Here's the thing I have learned over the years....angels are actually best kept as one, two or 6+ in my opinion. Similar to African cichlids, having more of them spreads out the aggression and no one single fish is getting all the bullying. But since angels get very large, you must have a large tank to support a larger group. Also, technically angelfish are schooling fish, which is why they tend do better in groups. (As long as they have appropriate space)

If I were going to do a 100 gallon tank, I would probably start with like 8 juvies and let them grow up together and see how it goes as they mature and play it by ear. :) Angelfish are very unpredictable. And their personalities vary quite a bit from fish to fish. So there is no concrete answer to your question.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also had luck with buying 6 young angelfish, letting them grow up together. letting them chose mates.

If the tank is 72 inches long, I agree with going for 8. Just remeber to add them all within a week, and all about the same size. They dont have to be the same color, but dont mix the species, "not to hard to avoid, their are only 3 species, and price varies wildly between them"

You may want to look for angels with at least the body size a little more then a quarter. They will be hardier then smaller babies. but still young enough that they are are not becoming aggressive.

But if you absolutly cant stand the idea of possibly having to rehome or move one or some, then angel fish may not be for you, In which case Silver dollar fish are awesome!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom