Another algae ID thread

Chris1212

Hi all, what kind of algae (not the brown spots, I know what that is) do you think this is growing on the few live plants I have in the tank? Or is it something that isn't algae? I'm not concerned necessarily about the looks but just want to make sure it isn't a problem that is going to ruin the tank. Pictured are my little anubias (in the tank for a few months) and dwarf grass (in the tank for a couple days).

20g, fully cycled (0/0/20ish), only a few live plants (3 little anubias, some dwarf grass, a pathetic Java fern, and a pathos growing out of the top). Fish are skirt tetras, glowlight tetras, honey gourami, peacock gudgeon, 2 hillstream loaches, 2 Amano shrimp, a nerite snail and 2 mystery snails.

My algae eaters might be getting lazy.

20210905_105033.jpg
20210905_105012.jpg
20210905_105018.jpg

Cody

Looks like Staghorn or Green Hair algae- I can’t tell if it’s green in color or if that’s from the plant leaves. Stage horn is normally more of a grey hue.

A lot of the time they cause appear from a lack of Co2 in the tank. This is typically a link ting factor in most planted tanks that do not use injected Co2. That being is more than often brought on by too much or to long of a duration of lighting. I kind of use algae like this to gauge if my light intensity or to strong and I will dim my light settings back to avoid this.(I do not inject Co2) if your light in not dimmable you can try shortening the period of time it is on.

So I would start by adjusting your lighting or lighting schedule if possible. It won’t hurt anything in your tank, but it can be a pain if you let it take over.

Chris1212

Thanks, it is grey(ish) not green, almost looks like fuzz. My lights aren't dimmable but I keep them on for 8-9 hours or so. No CO2 or fertilizer.

I guess my thee types of algae eaters aren't interested in it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ThatOneZooGuy
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies