Another 20 long stocking idea

Revan

I’ll just be honest: I want a betta. That’s it. I have 2 tiger endlers, and am going to get 8 CPD’s. I was gonna get 10 rummies, but now I’m thinking of getting one betta instead, and maybe even 2 platys.

Just to clarify: I’m gonna drop the rummies only if i do this, the COD’s stay.

What are your thoughts?

1. Can I do the swap?

2. Should I do the swap?

3. If I swapped, should I get platys too?

jinjerJOSH22

Cod grow far too large for.... you didn't actually list the size of the tank ;)
…but regardless Cod grow huge!

I kept CPDs with a Betta just fine for many months without an issue, but be warned Betta's vary wildly in temperament, I've also had a Betta try to swallow fish as large as CPDs typically are bought at. It often comes down to luck.

Revan

Wow.. my tank’s a 20 gallon-long. I was wondering if the biolad would be sustainable in the tank.

jinjerJOSH22

Wow.. my tank’s a 20 gallon-long. I was wondering if the biolad would be sustainable in the tank.
Should be fine, though I wouldn't recommend adding Platies, they prefer harder water than CPDs and the Betta and also another potential target for a Betta. Platies can also be boisterous themselves.

otterblue

My 4 female platies and 1 male betta get along well in a 55 gallon.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I believe rummy noses need larger tanks, as they are one of the TRUE schooling fish and will be most comfortable with at least 3 feet, preferably 4.5. Some other suggestions to replace them would be purple or black or regular emperor tetras. Cherry barbs or columbian tetras. What did you like about the rummynoses, that could help me give some alternative suggestions.

Revan

A lot of people said that the 20 gallon would be fine, so I went with them. I just like how they school tightly!

SouthAmericanCichlids

A lot of people said that the 20 gallon would be fine, so I went with them. I just like how they school tightly!
This isn't first hand knowledge, I'll tag the guy who told me as I usually do. I respect his opinion as he has a lot of fishkeeping experience. And too be honest, most people don't know the difference between schooling and shoaling fish. MacZ

Chewbacca773

It is a little controversial, but you might be able to go with a different tetra, like cardinal tetras, which school pretty tightly as well

Edit - MacZ is pretty good with this stuff, I'd also take his opinion into account
I believe rummy noses need larger tanks, as they are one of the TRUE schooling fish and will be most comfortable with at least 3 feet, preferably 4.5. Some other suggestions to replace them would be purple or black or regular emperor tetras. Cherry barbs or columbian tetras. What did you like about the rummynoses, that could help me give some alternative suggestions.
Don't Colombians get big?

SouthAmericanCichlids

This isn't first hand knowledge, I'll tag the guy who told me as I usually do. I respect his opinion as he has a lot of fishkeeping experience. And too be honest, most people don't know the difference between schooling and shoaling fish. MacZ
What did you like about rummynose tetras. But I would really suggest looking into those types of emperor tetras, I'd say, besides wild secies of bettas, they are my favorite fish by looks. Also besides Macropodus ocellatus, gorgeous fish.

Revan

It is a little controversial, but you might be able to go with a different tetra, like cardinal tetras, which school pretty tightly as well

Edit - MacZ is pretty good with this stuff, I'd also take his opinion into account
I might do cardinal tetras. Keep in mind its a 20 gallon long, not a tall.
What did you like about rummynose tetras. But I would really suggest looking into those types of emperor tetras, I'd say, besides wild secies of bettas, they are my favorite fish by looks. Also besides Macropodus ocellatus, gorgeous fish.
I was going to get a betta, but it might’ve been too aggressive and not great with my other nano fish. I might just add platys and get another fish I end up liking at the LFS.

MacZ

Hello everybody!

Rummynose won't school much in a 20 gallon. The directional coordinated behaviour is broken up due to the small space and most often the low numbers. While yes, they can be kept in that size, they will likely go separate ways as soon as they are feeling comfortable in the tank and just be zipping around uncoordinated.

For the real schooling behaviour the tank has to be at least 150cm long and the group size at least 30-40 fish.

Revan

I guess I'll leave out the rummy nose tetras. Looking at other tetra species, I kind of like the bloodfin tetras! I might try those.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I guess I'll leave out the rummy nose tetras. Looking at other tetra species, I kind of like the bloodfin tetras! I might try those.
With that edit, I say it'll work.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grace123
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Highlander88