Another 10 gal question

1. n

nanzey Valued Member Member

Hi!
    I have an uninhabited and fully cycled 10 gal with live plants, driftwood and sand.
    I have had endlers and shrimp in the past. I would like to have a shrimp colony but really want to have bigger fish this time - even if just one.
    The little guys get so lost in the tank and they're kind of manic to watch. I would rather have one or two larger fish to enjoy.
    A betta would be nice but I'm concerned about the shrimp being used for food. Would a good layer of moss help?
    Or is there another vivid showy fish that would be happy in this tank with a bunch of shrimp and some snails?
    I have looked thru the famous 10 gal stocking list but it's painstakingly slow to see a name, Google it for looks and info and repeat.
    I would avoid anything that would be considered an advanced level fish.
    Water parameters:
    Ammo 0.1
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20 depending on the day
    pH 8.0
    Kh 7
    Gh 9
    Temp averages 78

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Imtryingmybest

Imtryingmybest Valued Member Member

I'm definitely no expert but I've heard that you can keep quick, slightly larger shrimp with a betta. I kept two amano shrimp with a female betta and had absolutely no issues. I'm not sure how they would do with smaller or slower shrimp though

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I really can't think of another larger, showy fish other than a betta that can be in a 10g. Just curious, how are you keeping an uninhabited tank cycled? Are you dosing ammonia? If cycled, you shouldn't have an ammonia reading though.

4. OP
    OP
    n

Dosing ammonia daily. I don't know why but my ammonia never gets that banana yellow color like the chart. It is more like a canary yellow. I'll snap a pic next time I test. Maybe I'm bonkers.

5. el337

Oh, ok. Yeah, I know for some reason people report never being able to get that bright yellow.

6. OP
    OP
    n

So is there any tricks to figuring out if a betta will be more inclined to eat shrimp? I've heard Amano might be a better bet but I was really hoping to do cherry.
    Are females less predatory than male? Would order of introduction make a difference?
    And lastly would a betta be ok with a mystery snail or should I stick to nerites.
    Thanks again!

7. el337

I think it would really be a coin toss with bettas. I've read about bettas completely ignoring their shrimp and snail tankmates and others who would attack anything in sight.

And I don't think females are any less aggressive than males. Perhaps you can try it out with something like ghost shrimp that are really cheap? Maybe if the betta leaves them alone, they'll be more inclined to leave other shrimp or snails alone? Then you can spend the money on the more expensive shrimp.

8. OP
    OP
    n

Thanks! I'll try that.