Annual Killifish Temperaments Important

1. beau

beau Well Known Member Member

My lfs recently got their shipment of annual killifish. They’re stunning fish but I’ve found it hard to find much information on them. We can only get males so breeding isn’t part of the equation but I was hoping to add one or a few to my 29 gallon community for the duration of their lifespan. Is it possible to keep males of different species together? Are any more aggressive towards other fish than others?

These are the species that were brought in -

Killifish Eggersi
    Killi Patrizii
    Killi Notho Guentheri Gold
    Killi Guenthers Notho Male
    Killi Rachovi

(Copied from the suppliers list, hence the weird formatting)

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Valued Member Member

They are aggressive towards each other to an extent. Maybe 3 in a 29g would be safe enough. Sad you can't get females tho. Gorgeous fish.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Those are all Nothobranchius species, that may help in looking up information. N. eggersi, N. patrizii, N. guentheri, and N. rachovii (note two "ii"s on the end). The Gold Guentheri is an aquarium strain, I haven't seen them in quite a while.

These are all going to be aggressive with other male Nothos. Male Nothos have a relatively short time to reproduce, so all their energy goes into sex: finding females and enticing them into their breeding territory, and chasing other males away. In the absence of females, they will simply attack similar shaped/colored males in their territory, which is actually quite large. They have an enormous amount of energy, and can be relentless. Alternately, you can overload the territory, so that one fish cannot be singled out.

I would try to find breeders in your region and get pairs/trios. There is a Canadian Killifish Association, perhaps they can help you source these species. Annuals are beautiful, but very short lived. The only way to keep them is to breed them.