Annoying Questions from NonKeepers

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

It seems as if every time I show someone new one of my shrimp tanks, they ask, "Do you eat them?"

It's getting on my nerves. I think the next time someone asks me that, I'll scoop one out and offer it to them to eat. Or ask for $2,000 for a bowl of shrimp.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with nonkeepers?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Yep same question when i was talking about getting rainbow shrimp...

Also i get what's the point of keeping fish? Not like they do anything...

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

That's no good, tell them to stuff it :( My parents think I spend too much money but as I'm an adult on my own its obviously my choice. But they had tanks (FW and SW) so they understand at least. Also my landlord had SW tanks, so that's convenient.

Edit: that's true, it's always about shrimp for me. Like I'm really going to eat an inch long shrimp.

4. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Most of my family and friends are non fish keepers and I get asked stupid questions all the time the most annoying one came courtesy of my little brother who is 22 I will add, he came around one night and looked at Mordin my crown tail betta and asked "what would happen if you trimmed his tail all the same length" my answer was "dunno lets chop your leg off first and see what happens" honestly I was so annoyed he then went on to ask why it should bother him as fish have no feelings hmmmmm

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

"do you eat the fish when they die?" Uhhhhhhh, no.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Jaysee, that's not just ignorant, that's a dumb question...

A science group on Facebook actually posted something a few days ago about the "three second memory" myth, stating that goldfish can be taught tricks and remember them up to a year later. :)

7. monkeypie102

Mythbusters actually did a show about this :) if i remember right they took like half a day and the gold fish were swimming through hoops :) very cool show!

8. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I guess I've been quite lucky as far as silly questions about eating my fish.. anyone that comes over first asks how hard it might be to keep the fish, once I launch into nitrates and bacterial beds and all the other basics, plus filtration, lighting, plants.. etc etc, they are either intrigued or beyond caring at which time they distract me by telling me how gorgeous my fishies are and that they love this or that fish, or asking me if I can't put this or that kind into my tank because they think those are particularly lovely.

9. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

My brother this weekend looked at my crayfish and asked if we were going to cook and eat it when it is big enough....sighs

10. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

My standard response to can we eat the little shrimp is only if you are willing to clean up each bite....and you only eat the tail.......then I mention the blues would be $150 per appitiser plate......puts the silly questions in perspective a little better

11. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

wow ... the only comment I've had was regarding my shellie tank; my aunt was almost disappointed when I told her the fish lived in the shells ... like she was expecting more. -_-; Honestly, it's not that big a deal... Still bothered me, like my nothing-fake-in-here tanks weren't much to look at. (and inside I was screaming "LEMME SEE YOU DO BETTER!!!!") and this was infront of my grandmother and 2 little cousins who I was gonna gift my spare 10 gal to and say they should adopt a betta. So much for that :'( kinda hurt a bit. *cries in a corner*

12. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I just finished up a betta meal medium rare with olive oil - I thought we all raised these fish to eat no? :jawdrop:

Kidding of course! I do not get too many comments other than non keepers ribbing me a bit because I am into the hobby so much. I just tell them to get a hobby of thier own and shut it. :anim_63:

13. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Hmm...nothing too annoying yet other than while i was cycling. "why don't you have fish yet?" or "When are you gonna finally get fish for that tank?"

14. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I'm a bit too smart/sassy for my own good, friends/family have learned not to bother me about my hobbies since it usually is responded with an attitude of "what would you rather me have as a hobby... (insert something unpleasent that no one should want to do as a hobby or is WAY more expensive or something of that nature)"
    I'll admit, I'm a wee bit defensive :;soldier

15. Magoo

My mouth always gets me into trouble has done since I was little ;)

Some of my family make jokes about making fish pie and having fish on toast for breakfast which is rather annoying but when I lost all my endlers I did get some sympathy apart from my sister who does have tanks herself (I feel for her fish) said they're only fish.
    My dad promptly gave her a telling off to my surprise and my brother stepped between us to my defence so I guess they are full of surprises.
    Unless thinking about it maybe he thought I was going to slap her ;) not that I would have in public in front of my dad

16. monkeypie102

My brother is in he fish game as well and though his tanks are always in great condition and never over stocked when i tell him his 1 Cory and 1 black skirt would like more friend in their school he says they are just fish... so magoo i feel your pain!

17. buzz4520

buzz4520 Valued Member Member

i've got 3 oscars (all about 13 - 14 inch) and have been asked several times do we/are we going to eat them. that just drives me crazy and i will get defensive. some people just don't "understand" what the fish keeping hobby is all about.

18. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I don't get stupid questions; I recieve heartbreaking responses.

Once I accidentally did something to offend that I will not disclose (nothing physical), and as a result a family member poured bleach in my ADF/guppy tank out of spite:'( I cried until no tears came.

Another time I went away for the weekend while I had a 55 gallon tank cycling (purchased it myself from PetDumb); came home to an aquarium stuffed with mollies and guppies. Needless to say, they soon perished from none other than fish TUBERCULOSIS. I had to throw away the tank, as this organism is immune to bleach and can live without a host for many years. At the time, I was not aware that hydrogen peroxide could kill it, but it's too late now:( I've never had that large of a tank since.

Although my hobby is still frowned upon by most of my family, never again have they dared mess with my tanks.

19. Magoo

I'm sorry to hear that Tiggy I don't know I'd do if someone messed with my tanks although they know better.

My dads wife stuck her finger in Malcolm's tank back when I had him to see if he would come up I told her not to but she did and he bit her it was very funny she hasn't done it since lol Mordin would definitely have a chomp ;)

20. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Amano shrimps are delicious!

j/k :)