Annoying Calcium Spots

1. Shane Dostie Member Member

Hi in my goldfish tank I have a lot of hard water spots that are really annoying. All of them lie on the back of the aquarium and were caused by water splashing from my bubbler onto the back. If there any way to get rid of these? I can just fit my finger behind the tank because it's pressed on a wall. Is it safe to put my fish into a 10 gallon for a day and do a 100 percent water change and give the tank a good vinegar scrub? I have a canister filter with developed media and no substrate. Thanks for any help! 3df8610abfbc0007dec480488bc0cb08.jpg 48347abb6ac02f3aa40029117197e3d0.jpg 1759c379c1a532e6d3eb8e7e11dd817c.jpg
  2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It's safe to put them in the 10 gallon for a few hours (and save a few buckets of water while you clean the back of the tank, but don't clean the inside with anything but a towel/cloth) , but it will be extremely stressful for the fish if they have a 100% water change. I wouldn't do more than a 50% water change unless its for a very good reason.

3. Shane Dostie Member Member

Yea that's how I feel about it too, I don't want to stress them out but I've seen experienced goldfish hobbyists do 90% water changes every week just fine, problem is I need to drag out the tank so I'm going to have to do a big water change to apply the vinegar to the back of the tank. Thanks for the reply!
  4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You could just save some of the water in some buckets (at least 20% of the water), and then pour that back into the tank after you are done cleaning.

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

100% water change is fine as long as the new water is exactly the same (temperature and Ph)
  6. Shane Dostie Member Member

Good idea

Mhm but wont ph be the same, the aquarium water and my tap water? I don't have any rocks that could affect the ph.
  7. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I don't think I'd bother with moving them to a different tank. I'd say drain maybe 3/4 of the water out. That should be enough you can shift the stand another inch or two out from the wall. If not you still might still be able to get something down behind the tank to scrub it. Think rag on a stick or similar.

8. Shane Dostie Member Member

True, I'll take it slow, do not want to shake the water too much and stress my precious goldfish. Thanks for advise!
  9. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Test your pH from your tank and tap, it will tell you if it is close to the same. And no they won't be the same. The tank water is old and will naturally be a bit more acidic. So as long as there isn't a difference of more than 0.4-5 or so, you should be fine.

I did a 75% water change on Friday, because of an ammonia spike. Then I got plants yesterday and did a 50% water change. And my fish are fine. As long as your water chemistries line up, your fish can tolerate a 100% water change.

If you are scrubbing with vinegar, I wouldn't risk leaving the fish in the tank, not at all. Put them in buckets, scrub your tank, let the tank dry for several hours after rinsing really well. Just to make sure the vinegar has completely dissipated. Then refill the tank.

If you can, run your filter in the buckets too. (With old tank water)That way it won't dry out your filter media. It will take a couple hours of work, and you don't want to compromise your beneficial bacteria.
  10. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

As long as your tank is cycled, and you don't kill off the Beneficial Bacteria (BB) by letting the media get dry, or rinse it in fresh tap water you will be ok. It's possible that you may get a slight bacteria bloom, but that will clear up in a few days on its own.
    I use to do 90-95% water changes, without any problems.

11. Shane Dostie Member Member

Thanks for the advise! I will make sure I do not affect the ph too much, although I do 10% water changes every day so the water isn't too old.

12. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

A 10% water change is literally a drop in the bucket. Unless you are doing 100% water changes every single day, your tank water is considered old water. The older the tank, the more acidic the water. It's just the nature of how tanks and water changes work. It is actually more effective to do 2-3 larger water changes per week, than to do a small daily water change. I do a once per week 60-75% water change. More volume of water being changed, the more effective it is at removing unwanted nitrates.

This video explains it way better than I ever could.

13. Shane Dostie Member Member