Anna's 75g reef tank 75 Gallon Tank

1. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Was looking at my tank this morning thinking how healthy everything was today, so decided to get some pictures of the tank.

Its a 75g Reef tank with 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 starey blennie, 1 foxface rabbitfish, and 2 yellow stripe maroon clowns (added yesterday) 5 hermit crabs, 3-4 snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. I mainly have softies for corals right now (due to a Alkalinity/calcium imbalance, fingers crossed for it to be sorted now) but have 1 LPS which is a flavia. The rest of my SPS corals are housed in a friends tank right now and i will slowly start adding them back to the tank come the new year. Lighting is T-5 (4 bulbs) and a 30g sump with loads of macro algae, protein skimmer etc...

Full tank shot:
    278.jpg

right side of tank:
    279.jpg

center of tank:
    280.jpg

left of tank:
    281.jpg

I am sure i have just jinxed the tank again by saying how healthy everything looks but its been 1 long struggle anyway (frustrating but enjoyable) not to mention a money pit!

Anna

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, very nice Anna. It's very beautiful!

3. agsansoo Well Known Member Member

Great looking tank ! Love the maroon clown. My favorite SW fish. ;)

As for SW tanks being a money pit. I have no idea what your talking about (crossing fingers behind back) LOL . Enjoy the journey, it's worth it.

4. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Thanks Lucy

I agree with that and i hope things can only get better still!

The husband was not happy when i got the first SW tank, now he is the one trying to encourage me to go to a 200g + tank. He even tried buying me a 300g acrylic reef ready tank yesterday for the SW. I see a bigger reef tank in the future! ;D

Anna

5. agsansoo Well Known Member Member

OK your spouse is a keeper. My wife just gives me the "look" when I talk about upgrading my tank. LOL

Tip: If you buy an acrylic tank, go barebottom (no sand). You will just get scratches all over with sand in it. Starfire glass is great too, but expensive !
    If I were to buy a 200-300 gallon tank, it would be acrylic. Under 150 gallons, I would go with glass.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i have a 30 gallon acrylic FW and am very happy with it. Your tank is gorgeous, Anna. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. :)

7. David C Well Known Member Member

You are lucky to have a spouse that supports the hobby. My wife tolerates the tanks at the moment, but I think she's tired of my endless search for the next tank.

BTW, your tank is gorgeous.

Dave

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Anna. You've done a wonderful job! :;perfect
    I considered an acrylic tank and due to the difference in price (glass being so much cheaper) I opted for glass for my 265g tank. Couldn't be happier! However, it took 10 of us to get it into the house, empty. :) Whatever you decide on, make sure you can get it into your house and to the spot that you want it to live :) My tank would not go through the house and to the room/spot that I wanted it so the room had to be built around the tank. teehee
    Best wishes for some Happy Holidays! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!
    Ken

9. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am lucky to have a husband who supports and enables the hobby. Its something we started together and continue to enjoy together.

I prefer glass tanks over acrylic but when a 300g reef ready acrylic with stand, canopy, metal halide lights presents its self for $500 i will take the deal! Except someone got it before us :'( So i will go with either glass or acrylic if the price is right :;a2

Anna

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's exactly where I am, Anna. My husband is just as bad as I am! LOL. It's so great when your SO is an enabler!

Your tank looks great btw. Nice job! :)

11. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Well the upgrade happened sooner than was planned!

I found an amazing deal on Craigslist (man i love that site) on a 155g drilled, bowfront, starfire glass aquarium complete with: mahogany stand, protein skimmer, UV filter, CF lights (2x fixtures) 5 stage RO/DI unit, 8 big pumps (including 2 return pumps) and other various bits and pieces for an amazing price!

I will post pictures of the tank and stand soon although it will be empty until we move in the next 6-12 weeks.

Anyone care to guess the price we paid for all of this?

Anna

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You mean Starphire glass? I didn't know there were starphire bowfronts... that's gotta look amazing! That 155 BF is pretty deep, have you considered going to MH lighting?

13. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Yeah i mean starfire glass!

I have T5 on my current set up i will transfer those over to the new tank and add a couple of MH lights. The CF lights that came with the tank will go onto a FW planted tank. (until i can afford a 6ft T5 lighting system!

I am thinking of doing bare bottom on this tank as the sand in my 75g drives me nuts blowing around all the time!

I will stick to softies at the bottom and edges of the tank and have the LPS and SPS in the upper middle of the tank when i first set it up until the lighting gets upgraded!

Anna

14. ATP Well Known Member Member

Sounds pretty nice. I got my tank from craigslist all so. $500 bucks for a complete 125 reef set up. How much did you get yours for? What's the dimensions

I say you should get 2x250 (I like und with a mixture of softies for covering the rocks. (fillers)12K) watts halides in there. It'll be pretty nice because you could put SPS all around and put mushrooms, zoas, polyps, etc as fillers. :)

ATP
    :;f:;fr:;fg

15. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

I paid $500 for everything.

I will probably post a few questions nearer set-up regarding lighting and bare bottom or sand.

To top it all off i just bought 50-80pounds of live rock for $75 some ones tank just broke and needed it gone ASAP! (just waiting for the directions now!)

Anna

16. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

I love this! :)

17. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

VERY impressive!!! :)

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Wow great find. :;hi2 I really enjoyed my 155g bow front the 10 years I had it. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well. I'll be looking forward to updates!
    Ken

19. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Picked up 60pounds of live rock with corals on yesterday for $1 per pound!

Totally transformed the look of the tank!

here's some pictures, what do you think?

101.jpg

Nigel the starey blennie hiding in some red mushrooms.

102.jpg

Anna

20. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Things are just falling in place for you!!! Congrats. After it's all setup, I show up with my truck and bring here!!! What a deal....Gotta love it!!
    Of course I give you 500, and you go back to craigslist and start again...lol

Seriously you saltwater folks are doing wonderful setups. I'm soooo interested, and too scared, and too broke to try one!!!