Help Animal Of Choice For My Wellbeing And Their Own

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love animals but I'm highly hyper and procrastinate a lot. I can take decent care of animals, not neglect but certainly not top notch. I would like your opinions on my current animals (minus dead ones). I also would be happy to hear what animal you recommend!
(To mods, if you need to move this thread to a more appropriate/on topic area, you can do so)

My Morkie (Maltese and Yorkie mix) kind of hates me because I bug her so much. I love derpy cute animals or even soft critters. My guppies fuel the fire of hyperness inside of me. Basically I'm rambunctious, silly, lazy, observing stuff, making or finding random items for the use for pets, crafting, and more. I do have Autism, ADHD, anxiety, and OCD so I do take Concerta and Prozac in the morning. Prozac makes me bold while Concerta is meant to help focus, lowers appetite/hunger, make better decisions, lowers energy, decreases frequent random emotional outbursts, etc. Fish are amazing therapy animals but I always want more critters. If the animal is solely an observation thing then depending on its energy this will either encourage me to interact with it or not. I am a gardener so if a terrarium can use live plants, especially moisture in something like a zone 6 enclosure/terrarium.

I don’t get like too deep into research, just enough where I can say “ok let’s start making some stuff for the animal”. I love being resourceful. I am on the fence about maybe quails, chickens, a western hognose snake, American toad, or maybe a crocodile skink.

Since I was like 6 years old I’ve always loved snakes. I wanted rabbits, guinea pigs, Siberian cat, conure parrot, snails, and a horse but all of those (minus the cat) are too much work, space, and money for me in the suburbs. I was working with my cousin’s bunny and after 2 whole days I realized one wouldn’t put up with me on a daily basis. Siberian cats are very nice and are slightly hypoallergenic and good with kids and dogs. Also the cat would be like the same price as my dog, she wasn’t cheap.

What do you guys think?
Please be respectful when replying.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just searched for them and I have seen a video of them from Brave Wilderness. I'll keep Medicinal/Medicine Leeches in mind though. I am taking medical studies next year for high school so the properties of Medicinal Leeches might be something I'll look into.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t at all mean to come across as rude or anything. But the animals wet and dry cold and warm we take into our homes need to be given the best possible conditions and 100% dedication because after all it’s what we take em in for in the first place with that being said and like I said not at all to sound rude or anything but the medicinal leech sounds like an amazing suggestion. I hope you find your “ zen zone” in whatever animal you choose. Good luck!!

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I try to give at least 80% of dedication but too much and I could kill it with kindness or disinterest. I do understand your opinion and do agree that you can't slack on the husbandry.

I guess my 5 year old dog is the best example. We feed her Acana dog food sometimes cat food. We didn't mean to give her cat food but Wild Coast (dog food) and Pacifica (cat food) are so similar the only difference on the package is whether it has a cat or dog silhouette somewhere. I don't walk her but I do brush her, trim claws, and try to clean her teeth. For the passed year I haven't payed too much attention to her since she is a lazy little pipe cleaner.

I learned you can't cut corners with animal care when I was about to buy supplies for a soon to be pet goldfish. One the staff really knew a lot about goldfish. I'm not great with constant everyday things let alone my school work.

I might need to stop eating like 20 Reese's a day so I can get more work done with my current animals.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would it be possible to catch an insect or something from the wild and care for them for the season then let them free at the end of the season. Just thinking of other options . You definitely mean very well it sounds.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have slightly thought about velvet ants. I tried ladybugs by catching them but when I was younger I had no clue how to care for them. Aren't Roly Poly bugs related to isopods? If so maybe I should culture some from the ones in my garden. Also yes I do mean well with any animal.

Last edited:

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you mean well too. Your dog has basic care. How about starting to walk her every day ? This would not only be beneficial for her, but it might be really food for you too. Walking and fresh air would help release stress. :)

I don’t think I would add any more animals to your house, except maybe the leech that was suggested. I would work on providing excellent care to those you have.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll have to talk with my mom about the leeches since I still live under her roof.

I sort of need to work out more (totally didn't fail gym class) but I haven't had a true reason to do so. I'll try to walk Miley more often when I can (if I catch her first).

I am heading to the mountains of British Columbia the week after I return from Ontario tomorrow. The air in the mountains is wonderful and I guess has more negative ions.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll have to talk with my mom about the leeches since I still live under her roof.

I sort of need to work out more (totally didn't fail gym class) but I haven't had a true reason to do so. I'll try to walk Miley more often when I can (if I catch her first).

I am heading to the mountains of British Columbia the week after I return from Ontario tomorrow. The air in the mountains is wonderful and I guess has more negative ions.
BC is beautiful, have fun ! Try to set a routine with your dog, she’ll come to love it. Use treats if you have too. And even though you have a lot of energy, if you stop teasing her (if you do, maybe you don’t) and be more calm around her, it will help a lot. And be good practice for you too ! :)

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BC is beautiful, have fun ! Try to set a routine with your dog, she’ll come to love it. Use treats if you have too. And even though you have a lot of energy, if you stop teasing her (if you do, maybe you don’t) and be more calm around her, it will help a lot. And be good practice for you too !
Yes BC is beautiful. We catch minnows there and it has diversity in its wildlife and vegetation. Yes I do tease her. I do a thing with her (and when Iycho was around) called “do you like apple products?” Basically I ask that along with shoving an iPad or iPhone in her face. A friend taught me Boop the Nose, Pet the Face, so sometimes I do that to her. Dad taught her to bark by asking if someone was there. I’m an absolute turkey to her. Though I did teach her commands and tricks, like shake and touch an item.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes BC is beautiful. We catch minnows there and it has diversity in its wildlife and vegetation. Yes I do tease her. I do a thing with her (and when Iycho was around) called “do you like apple products?” Basically I ask that along with shoving an iPad or iPhone in her face. A friend taught me Boop the Nose, Pet the Face, so sometimes I do that to her. Dad taught her to bark by asking if someone was there. I’m an absolute turkey to her. Though I did teach her commands and tricks, like shake and touch an item.
Look at her body language when you’re doing this to her. If she tries to get away from you, or ears back, crouched down, whale eyes, she doesn’t like it and you should not do this to her.

Instead, find a way to play that she likes, such as throwing a ball, or chasing a teddy bear, or whatever. Then she’ll ne your best friend and enjoy walking with you !

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She loves plush squeaky toys, socks, and hands though she often wants to play when my dad is trying to sleep. He works an afternoon shift so he doesn’t get home until midnight.

She’s my best friend if I have nachos and cheese, her treats, or chicken.

I’l try to work on my behaviour, it is tricky in the mornings and evenings though. I hope she enjoys being in walks with me.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She loves plush squeaky toys, socks, and hands though she often wants to play when my dad is trying to sleep. He works an afternoon shift so he doesn’t get home until midnight.

She’s my best friend if I have nachos and cheese, her treats, or chicken.

I’l try to work on my behaviour, it is tricky in the mornings and evenings though. I hope she enjoys being in walks with me.
I’m sure she will, but be patient and give her time. It will be all new for her, so she will need your guidance.

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is a bit old, but if you’re still deciding on a pet/haven’t gotten one yet, I’d ask family members if they have any interest in a certain pet or if there’s one they’d like to own. Like everyone said, definitely focus on giving 100% to the current pets, but if you’re really interested in adding another one, make sure it’s one that family is interested in and will help to care for so you can give it say 50% while the rest of your family takes care of the other 50%. Something like a mantis could be an option, but not sure how complex their care is, but I do know that they have relatively short lifespans, so if you’re one to lose interest, it could be a good option.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know this thread is a bit old, but if you’re still deciding on a pet/haven’t gotten one yet, I’d ask family members if they have any interest in a certain pet or if there’s one they’d like to own. Like everyone said, definitely focus on giving 100% to the current pets, but if you’re really interested in adding another one, make sure it’s one that family is interested in and will help to care for so you can give it say 50% while the rest of your family takes care of the other 50%. Something like a mantis could be an option, but not sure how complex their care is, but I do know that they have relatively short lifespans, so if you’re one to lose interest, it could be a good option.
Mom likes canines (which we have), and dad likes fish (which I own). A mantis would be cool but mom said no "bugs" in the house (this oddly to her includes slugs, snails, and isopods). My cousin and my BFF have had experiences with hamsters, and I've heard they can live a shorter life than what is expected of a cory, guppy (2-4yrs, minnow, goldfish (10-25yrs), or betta (average 3-6yrs, at most 10-12yrs) (otocinclus don't count as they do have a estimated death rate at 24hrs to 1 month). My dad and brother are nocturnal right now so a nocturnal critter shouldn't be an issue other than when we haven't taken out medication or it has worn off.

I'll have to ask them though if they have an idea of a pet that isn't too problematic.
Thanks for the help!

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hamsters are good pets, I have one, but keep in mind that they require a decent amount of space and can actually become quite expensive. Mine is relatively low maintenance, but the prices for bedding, food, toys, etc definitely adds up.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hamsters are good pets, I have one, but keep in mind that they require a decent amount of space and can actually become quite expensive. Mine is relatively low maintenance, but the prices for bedding, food, toys, etc definitely adds up.
As long as it isn’t as expensive as it is investing into the aquarium hobby. I have a few things from when I owned hermit crabs many years ago. I love crafting things and already working on something if I get a hamster. Those awful Tiny Tales cages have not been released in Canada as far as I know. My entire room is my laboratory and workspace so I have everything cluttered on my bed and in the closet. I always have blueprints of what I’m going to do in my mind. I recently learned how to do 3, 4, and 5 strand braids so maybe that’ll come in handy for making toys for hamsters.

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
As long as it isn’t as expensive as it is investing into the aquarium hobby. I have a few things from when I owned hermit crabs many years ago. I love crafting things and already working on something if I get a hamster. Those awful Tiny Tales cages have not been released in Canada as far as I know. My entire room is my laboratory and workspace so I have everything cluttered on my bed and in the closet. I always have blueprints of what I’m going to do in my mind. I recently learned how to do 3, 4, and 5 strand braids so maybe that’ll come in handy for making toys for hamsters.
Your biggest initial expense is gonna be a cage, mine was around $70 but it’s the Ferplast Favola cage from Chewy.com (on the small side, but it was supposed to be a shared pet and the responsibility fell on me and I only have so much space) I would say 20-40 gallons is a decent size for a dwarf hamster, but go as big as possible. I think a lot of people say 450 sq inches is the minimum, but I find my dwarf hammy does okay in the 340 (ish) sq inches he has, but it varies, obviously a Syrian wouldn’t fit in his cage. Really the only big ongoing expense is gonna be bedding, you can use aspen, but I prefer something paper based. Carefresh is my favorite, but Kaytee clean comfort is ok. The cheapest option for a cage would be a bin cage, I had one when I had hamsters about 5 years ago, just take a big storage bin and cut out either a side or the top and add some kind of wire mesh, costs maybe $20-$30 depending on what you already have on hand.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your biggest initial expense is gonna be a cage, mine was around $70 but it’s the Ferplast Favola cage from Chewy.com (on the small side, but it was supposed to be a shared pet and the responsibility fell on me and I only have so much space) I would say 20-40 gallons is a decent size for a dwarf hamster, but go as big as possible. I think a lot of people say 450 sq inches is the minimum, but I find my dwarf hammy does okay in the 340 (ish) sq inches he has, but it varies, obviously a Syrian wouldn’t fit in his cage. Really the only big ongoing expense is gonna be bedding, you can use aspen, but I prefer something paper based. Carefresh is my favorite, but Kaytee clean comfort is ok. The cheapest option for a cage would be a bin cage, I had one when I had hamsters about 5 years ago, just take a big storage bin and cut out either a side or the top and add some kind of wire mesh, costs maybe $20-$30 depending on what you already have on hand.
We are planning to do something about my closet but in the mean time the only areas with some room is my toy bin shelf and my bookshelf (I recently got a small AC for my room so I don't have enough floorspace for a cage). The bookshelf length is about 4 ft and width being about 1 ft. The bookshelf has a TV, Game Cube, and Lava lamp on top that I rarely use.

A bin cage should be as easy as making them for isopods right? Does Chewy.com ship to Canada? How painful is a bite from a hamster compared to my dog's bite (she has dull teeth)?
I really do appreciate the help and feedback!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom