Angry Female Bristlenose Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by ponitboss, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ponitboss

ponitbossWell Known MemberMember

I setup a pair of common bn and after a day the male side spikes by his face the left side is gone and his face have lots of bruise make so I'm guessing the female beat him up because it was only two of them in the tank? Tank was a 50 gallon 36x18x18

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

3. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Maybe it was two males.

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

They fight with their side spikes. They can almost lock together. I would keep him on his own at least until it heals up. Ime, the males are the aggressive ones like that.

5. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

No it wasn't two male because the female used to lay eggs with an albino male but I put him in a tank with pure albino so I put a males normal with her and she beat him alot

6. angelcraze

Oh wow. I've never seen a female beating on a male BN. Usually it's because the male seeks out a cave area to coax the female into to get it on, but because he had no where claimed, he wasn't ready and she beat him. Idk, just speculating. I keep albino and brown BNs too, I never added a male to a tank with females.

@DoubleDutch might know more....

7. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

The Male was smaller than the female though

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Never heared something alike.

9. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

No, me neither.

I did have a female who always chased another female and the other female died (possibly of stress as there were no obvious physical attacks or injuries).

I did have a male who had no bristles at all, but he was otherwise very capable and had young with a known female.

10. angelcraze

Just to say, this happened to me too. I rehomed (what I thought was) 4 female BNs. The person who bought them found a bunch of babies 10 days or so later. The only thing I could figure was I mistook a male with no bristles for a female.

I also had to separate two males very quickly because they were locking side spikes. It was quite horrifying and aggressive looking. I've also had a male daddy BN kill a young male. There was redness on his soft underside like an injury or piercing, def looked like the male hurt him. He was dead in front of the male's cave. Just saying how I've never seen a female actually hurt another pleco and I've seen a male BN kill another male.

I've seen females fight a bit (but not with spikes) for food, but never so they are hurt. They just push eachother away.

11. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

These are pics of the female and male. First 5 is the female and last the 6 and 7 is the Male

Attached Files: