Angles in a 30G?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Ewest, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Ewest

EwestValued MemberMember

Can a single fully grown angelfish go in a standard 30 gallon thank with other community fish?

2. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Let me start by saying I've never kept angels before, but I believe a single angel needs a minimum 20 gallons, then 10 gallons for each additional angel. I'm sure you'll get some more responses though. What else were you thinking of keeping with the single angel?

3. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Keep the substrate minimal as to take advantage of as much water depth as possible.

4. OP
    OP
    Ewest

EwestValued MemberMember

1 angel, 6 dwarf neons, and 2 bolivian rams is the plan so far

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Something you might want to consider also, neons may become a snack for the angel especially if it's full grown

6. OP
    OP
    Ewest

EwestValued MemberMember

Dwarf neon rainbows get 3" how will they become a snack? lol unless im missing something about angles.......lol

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Angelfish can reach 6" and they WILL try to eat anything that fits in their mouths, including 2" neon tetras.

8. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

It's a fish eat fish world out there.

(I actually thought you had Neon Tetras not rainbows)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Forgot to mention also that yes, you are missing something.. Angelfish are part of the Cichlidae family... yes distant relatives of mbuna and other African cichlids.

10. OP
    OP
    Ewest

EwestValued MemberMember

Lol I know they are cichlids I was just confused how they would eat a 3" fish as they have small mouths. But it was a miscommunication lol so never mind.

11. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

They won't eat dwarf rainbows. He thought you were talking about neon tetras which they WILL eat. Basically, you don't want anything smaller than 2 inches with a full grown Angel, and if you're looking to keep ram fry you can probably forget about it unless your ram can actually scare off the Angel, which I doubt. Overall your stocking seems fine.

12. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Not a 20g, a 30 would be fine though.....

13. OP
    OP
    Ewest

EwestValued MemberMember

Awesome i got a 30g for free as a step up from my 20

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice