Anglefish and Blue Mystery Snails, Please help as it could be Serious

mattyluke

Reaction score
Hi All, I recently purchased a small anglefish about 2 inches long a couple days ago.  We've had a bllue mystery snail for quite some time now.  The anglefish has been harrassing the snail.  It's been poking at him, rams him, Contantly staring at it and I think maybe  it even tries to and  Nip it if came out of it's shell.  The snail used to be very active moving around the glass and water all day but now it sits in one spot not doing anything except maybe protecting himself from the angle. 

I know Anglefish are cichlids but I read they are one of the few that are aggressive.  I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this or experienced it before and could give some advice?

The tank is 20 Gallons with the Ph at 6.6, Ammonia at just under .25, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 5.  Once my new tanks get cycled the anglefish will be put in there. Thank you.

Regards,

Matt

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Angelfish aren't as aggressive as some of their cousins (Oscars, Dempsey's, etc...). but they can be very territorial. Sounds like it doesn't like the snail in it's new stomping grounds. I'd split them up as fast as possible, before the snail becomes escargot (Not sure how you spell that one...lol)

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jim said:
es cargot (Not sure how you spell that one...lol)
The spelling is correct, you just forgot to put a space between the s and c.
Anyways, I had 2 snails in with my angel for several months but then they died(they were about 2" in diameter) of natural causes(I hope) and my angel wasn't going after the snails after one almost closed the shell with the angel's lips inside as well(that taught my angel a good lesson).
Tom

mattyluke

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the replies. I think you are right about the territory. I have removed the snail and put him in a temporary place while my new tank gets cycled. When the anglefish was picking on the snail, the snail was hanging out right where the anglefish has been hanging out ever since the snail was removed. He must have just wanted that spot! So, do you think I could put the snail back in there now that the Anglefish has won the battle and gained that territory?

Thank you,

Matt

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion, the angel will see that as an intuder and try attacking it again. But also wait to se what the other members have to say about it.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tom on this one, you can try it, but I'm betting the angel will go right after it again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom