Angels With Harlequin Rasboras? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CrickettheFish, Apr 10, 2019.

1. CrickettheFishNew MemberMember

My tank is 36 gallons (30 in L x 13 in W x 21 in H) with a marineland c360 canister filter. Currently, it houses a school of 9 harlequin rasboras and 3 nerite snails. After reading about angels, I’ve fallen in love with the koi coloration and decided that if the tank is ok, I would just get one to avoid overcrowding and aggression.

Does anyone know the ideal tank dimensions for angels and would mine be ok? I read that 30 gallons is the minimum tank size but wanted to make sure they could work for my tank before I get my hopes up.

I’ve also seen mixed opinions on whether or not angelfish will eat/bully harlequin rasboras. Some say they’re big enough while others say that their new angel killed their rasboras. I’m sure it ultimately depends on the fish, but any thoughts are greatly appreciated! (Only 2 out of 9 of my rasboras are around an inch long while the others are bigger 1.5-2 in)

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You can get one. Tank size and stocking are fine

3. grump299Well Known MemberMember

While they are young your tank will be ok you might find they may need more space as they get older now keeping with
    harlequin rasboras is a hit and miss I have had them with them in the past and some worked and others didn’t. But in a smaller tank like a 36g you might find aggressive as they get older.

4. CrickettheFishNew MemberMember

Thanks for the input. Id hate to introduce a fish that may or may not work longterm. :confused:

5. JackieWitchValued MemberMember

I know your pain. I Would love a koi angel... I have window shopped for them many times. They sound like they are big characters. However I fear for my cardinals as I also heard mixed reviews. Some people had had angels with cardinals without any problem (if they are well fed and grow together) others had a massacre once their angel realised they have dinner swimming around them. However it seems to be worse with cardinals than rasboras due to the shape of their bodies?. Anyway. I don’t think anybody can guarantee it would be ok. Depends on the fish’s personality I guess.. your tank is probably big enough if you are lucky to buy an angelic angel... I still haven’t done it... i’ Probably be upset if I cause a tetra version of the chainsaw massacre :p