Angels Spawned, Now What?

1. Kristin

Kristin Valued Member Member

My angel hair finally spawned again.

I put the spawning slate in a 2.5 gallon with 10 drops of methylene blue. Added a heater set to 82 and an air stone.

Ordered frozen BBS, decapods and cyclopeeze to feed.

Have this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...eeding+box&dpPl=1&dpID=31dpHP0cYrL&ref=plSrch) breeding box which I plan to transfer fry to once they become free swimming. Will transfer back to 2.5 then maybe 10 gallon as they grow.

How do I move them from the 2.5 with the meth blue into the breeder box without meth blue?

Once they have outgrown the 10, can they go back in the 56 tall (only has the parents in it)?

Does my plan sound ok? What do I need to know? What am I doing wrong?

I have a husband who doesn't support the hobby so need to do this with as little expense and equipment as possible.

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

You will not be able to put the babies back with a breeding pair of angels. They won't recognize them as their young and they will just view them as threats to their new spawns (which happen every couple weeks)

AS for the meth blue, when I removed eggs and did the method you did, I had them in a 10G. I was doing daily water changes in the 10g. The babies were able to stay in the 10G for about 4 weeks and then I moved them to a larger 46 gallon grow out. By this point there was obviously no meth blue in the water anymore anyway.
    But honestly....a 2.5 gallon is much larger than that breeder box. So why the would you move them into something smaller?? Just to put them back into something larger? I guess I am not understanding your thought process behind putting the eggs into a 2.5g, then when they hatch putting them in something even smaller (breeder box), only to move them back to the 2.5 again?

Now that the eggs are in the 2.5g, I would suggest you keep them in that tank until they are free swimming and have eaten a meal or two. Then use an airline tube to suck the babies up directly into the 10g.

HOWEVER....if the 10 gallon is the best you can do for a grow out, you shouldn't attempt to raise angelfish. Not to be a downer. But you need to have a larger tank for them to grow out properly. And if the hubby won't allow it......it sounds like it won't be an option for you.

3. OP
    OP
    Kristin

Hubby is now considering larger tanks for grow out IF I can get any fry to survive to the point I need them.

I understand what you're saying about not going to the breeder box and back. My thought was it would make water maintenance easier on me for a few days to a week.

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

newborn angelfish fry need daily water changes. So regardless where you put them, you won't have less maintenance. A water change on a 2.5 gallon shouldn't take you more than a couple minutes anyway. Quicker than changing the water on the parents tank that you plan to hang the breeder box on. Right??

I think it's excellent that your hubby will let you get a grow out tank if you succeed. So I guess you need to focus on succeeding now! lol.

I am thinking the best choice would be to move the eggs into the 10g NOW. That way they can hatch and spend their first few weeks all in the same tank. No bouncing around or needing to figure out how to move free swimmers during their early stages. If you can get them to last 3-4 weeks in the 10g, you will be about ready to upgrade them at that point.

For a grow out, I would suggest at least a 3 foot tank if you can pull it off. 40 breeder, or 46 bow or a 30 for instance. Bigger is better, but I am trying to make it as tolerable as possible for the hubby! Also, going used is much more affordable too. I have gotten MANY nice set ups using craigslist. Including a couple nice free set ups due to people just wanting it out of the garage!

I am so glad I don't have to answer to anyone else with my hobby! haha I feel bad for minors dealing with unsupportive parents, or having an unsupportive significant others like you (and many other) have.

5. OP
    OP
    Kristin

Good point on the breeder box. Perhaps I shouldn't have spent the money.

I do not currently have a 10, so in the 2.5 they stay. Sounds like hubby is going to let me get a 29 though. So, I will grow them out for a bit in the 29, then move the parents to the 29 and the fry to the 56 to grow out further. Does that sound ok?

6. OP
    OP
    Kristin

Also, about how many eggs do you think I have?

Attached Files: