Angels, Ram and Betta D:

1. the.andy.08 Initiate Member

Hi there, im new to fishlore.
    My 90 gallon tank seems very peaceful, no fish bother any other fish. My angels are all very chilled out and my ram bothers no one, i was wondering if anyone has had any success with a male betta and angels. I have researched quite a lot and there are many mixed views, i would love to give it it a try though.
    Thanks

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Angels Rams and Bettas

Welcome to Fishlore. It is nice to have you on board. Hopefully you will find it educational and fun.

It sounds like you are set on giving it a try. I would recommend against it. I have both Angels and Rams and they can get quite territorial and aggressive. I believe that there would be to much hostility in the tank and the stress and/or fin damage would be too much for the fishes well being. Now mind you saying that, I have never put a betta in because of the fact I feel it would be harmful, I have however put them in other community tanks and had to remove them because they were not doing well. I am convinced they do better on their own, or with one other fish with them.

3. jbdub Member Member

Hi, welcome!
    My own personal experience is a negative one, the angel killed the betta. They lived together in peace for about 4 months but once the angel matured he got aggresive and killed the betta.
    In saying that you have a 90 gallon tank, which is big, so there is certainly enough room territory wise. Problem is if the Angel decides at any stage he wants rid of that betta its pretty much game over! :;jaws

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!

Great advice from other members :)
    I think that the 90g tank is much to much for the betta. Seeing as they need the surface to breath, and are not super good swimmers, that would be a bit much.

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

+1 Shawnie

A 90 gallon tank is too tall for bettas.

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I guess it depends on the betta. I have kept bettas in my 90G.

So long as the are plants or decor to break the line of sight, it could be done. I had 5 angels and 2 bolivian rams with the betta. There was some chasing at first, but things quickly settled down once territories were defined. The betta loved hiding out under some driftwood.

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i would add if you DO try, and it fails....have a plan for the betta. either a small tank....or returning him to the store.

8. the.andy.08 Initiate Member

Thanks so much for all the advice, i think im going to give it a try. I do have another plan if it doesnt work out, ill put him in a 5 gallon. Ill post on how ot goes. So far when i have introduced new fish my other fish have hardly taken any notice, so fingers crossed!

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, i was going to say give it a try. 90 isnt too tall for a betta, maybe if they have HUGE HM or rose/DT finnage but VT, deltas, CT, PK and females would all be fine.