Angels or Blood Parrots?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by hcroark, Aug 24, 2012.

1. hcroark

hcroarkValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Which have the best personality? I thought I was set on a angel or two for my 46. They are so pretty. But something just draws me back to the BP's. I like they way they look but I think it's their personality that really does it for me. They seem to be like a puppy in a tank. So aware (once they get past the shyness). Being a cichlid as well, do angels have that type of awareness/personality?

2. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    1 year
    My angels always say hello to me and beg me for food. They have great personalities. So do BPs, although I don't have experience with them. I'd say the 46 gallons is a little small for a BP though, so you should stick with angels.

3. jwhorner6

jwhorner6Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've kept many cichlids but I have never kept an angel. As far as all the cichlids i have kept though blood parrots are by far my favorite. They are very personable. And everyone that comes over just loves how they look like they are smiling at you.

4. OP
    OP
    hcroark

hcroarkValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    If I were to go with BP's, I would only get one and some dither fish. But then that makes me kinda sad it would be alone. And someone here on FL said that having at least a pair brings out more of the personality. I think, putting emotions aside, a couple angels would be better for my tank in that case.
    Dern it if i just don't love how the BP looks though!!

5. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    4 years
    I know how you feel I long for a tank big enough for blood parrots one day I shall have some oh yes one day :)

6. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +256
    I agree, tank not big enough for 2.

I tried 2 BPs in my largest tank and it didn't work out. Ended up taking them back to the LFS.
    They were too aggressive.

Angelfish are semi-aggressive and territorial. They are a cichlid. When they pair up and want to lay eggs they get more territorial and aggressive toward their tankmates. Chase them away from their territory.

But they do see you get up from across the room and will greet you when you come up. They pay attention to their surroundings. I love mine!

Severums will greet you at the front of the tank. My Green Sev always greets me. :)

My Firemouth runs and hides.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012