Question Angels laid eggs on filter intake. Leave them or move them?

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, I have a breeding pair of angels which came quite unexpectedley. I had noticed over the last week or two that two of my angels were hanging out together all the time behind an ornament. Well today I found eggs on the filter intake tube.

I'm not sure what to do as I'm pretty sure if the eggs hatch the fry will be sucked into the filter. Should I remove the eggs somehow and put them in a breeder net or do they need the parents around to survive?

I feel like I've been asking too many questions lately but things keep popping up.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never too many questions
Angelfish eggs are virtually impossible to successfully remove from anything. the parentms may move and will certainly move them several times after they hatch.
What else is in the tank with them?
Carol

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Never too many questions
Angelfish eggs are virtually impossible to successfully remove from anything. the parentms may move and will certainly move them several times after they hatch.
What else is in the tank with them?
Carol
Hi Carol, thanks for the reply. There are two more smaller angels, two 4 inch Balas, two Blue Gouramis, 4 coreys, 8 Lemon tetras and a BN.

Both Angels are defending the territory behind a large rock ornament where the eggs are and let nothing near them.

I could remove the filter tube with eggs attached if need be. I actually have a breeder net that came with the tank so is that worth placing in the tank and then putting the eggs in the net?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can remoce the filter tube to another tank you can hatch the eggs by keeping a bubble stone under them.
You could try the breeder net but I've not had much luck using breeder nets to hatch eggs. they don't seem to allow enough water movement through the net. I have used a large shrimp(the white ones) net to hatch eggs in.
Carol

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you can remoce the filter tube to another tank you can hatch the eggs by keeping a bubble stone under them.
You could try the breeder net but I've not had much luck using breeder nets to hatch eggs. they don't seem to allow enough water movement through the net. I have used a large shrimp(the white ones) net to hatch eggs in.
Carol
Thanks Carol. I have a 20G that I may try and use at a later date for the fry but I'm still trying to mend 2 rainbows with ulcers in it so that will be a while away. I may have to try the breeder net for now.

Is there any chance of survival for any possible newly hatched if I do nothing?

Last edited:

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I woke up this morning and all eggs were gone I was planning on moving the eggs today but I guess I was too slow. I have read that it's normal so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they'll lay more eggs again. I'll just be quicker moving them next time.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
After the 5th time of seeing eggs I've finally managed to salvage some. I was watching my angels protecting their eggs from other fish and then my light timer turned the lights off. I ran and grabbed a lamp and turned it on next to the tank as I've heard they need light to protect the eggs and low and behold another one of my angels had barged in and started eating the eggs. One of my pair was unsuccessfully trying to chase the attacker away but the mate just started frantically eating the eggs as well. This happened in the space of about 30seconds from the light going off!!! Anyway I put my hand in the tank and scared them away then cut off the piece of intake tube with the remaining eggs left on it.

I know people have told me breeder nets are no good as they don't let enough water through but it's the best I can do at the moment as my 20G is now a grow out tank for an Oscar and Jewel Cichlid. I have another QT up and running that I'll be able to use in a few weeks when I move my new JD and convicts into my 180G. I hope I can care for the eggs then hopefully fry in the breeder net untill that time comes.

I have placed the breeder net over part of my bubble wall but most of the air bubbles appear to be getting trapped under the breeder net Ah well I can only try and see how it goes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom