Angels In A 55 Gallon Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by akoll, Jan 29, 2019.

1. akollNew MemberMember

I currently have a 55 gallon community tank stocked with the following

2 angels around 1.5 inches
    6 rummynkse tetras
    4 celebes rainbows
    3 cory cats
    2 german blue rams

I was wanting to add one or two more angelfish to the tank but not sure if it would be a good idea, can anyone give me their suggestions? 20190118_205955.jpg

2. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

I honestly would leave it at two if they are getting along. You could comfortably add 1 space wise but with three you risk adding a level of stress / breeding behavior that could really upset the apple cart...

3. fjhWell Known MemberMember

I would recommend keeping it at 2 angels. I added 4 juveniles a while back to my 60g, and they got on great for months. Now they are full grown and at least 3 are male - they fight non stop so i am rehoming 2 of them.
    If you live in SoCal I have some beautiful males looking for a new home ;) lol

Edit: welcome to fishlore!

4. skay1017New MemberMember

5. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I’d fill out all the schooling fish instead. Especially the Cories.

6. akollNew MemberMember

Just sand can't remember what kind picked it up in a 50 pound bag at the fish store

Thank you! Okay sounda like that works best, would you suggest only 2 in something such as a 120 gallon as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2019
  7. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

A rule of thumb for Angels is 29 gallons for 1 and then 1 more for each 10 gallons. The thing is as you increase the numbers , you will inevitably end up with a mated pair and they will likely become really aggressive with the other fish , especially the other Angels. If you want a larger group I would suggest lots of tall plants to reduce sight lines , a good number of dither fish for distraction , and be prepared to re-home any problem children if they cause you more stress than you are willing to deal with.

8. fjhWell Known MemberMember

If you have a 120g then you could probably do more. Just keep in mind that each male will want his own territory, especially if you have female(s) to create a breeding pair.

9. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Greg hit the general rule, for a 55 3 would be the most you should stock.

But I would fill out the other schools.

You probably won’t notice aggression until they are about 4”.

But then it’s too late.

10. deadheadValued MemberMember

Those angels are going to grow. I have 1 in a 55 and it's almost too small for him. He's a big boy. I wouldn't push it with a third. They get aggressive when they get older. Just hope those 2 keep getting along.