Angels in a 48 gallon?

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
To all angelfish people out there... Hi!
I've always been attracted to angel fish, they look so graceful swimming about. I have a 48 gallon currently cycling. Could I have a few in there? I have no clear plans for stocking yet, I've thrown a couple random ideas around, but keep coming back to angels.

So much conflicting info on keeping angelfish. Some say only 1 for this size, some say 2, some say 6? I'm looking for actual experience with angels please, not just "sure it works, but I don't own any angels..."

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Depends on the dimensions.
Off of memory here, it's a bow front, 36" wide, 20" tall, 12-16" deep, 16 at the widest part of the bow front.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Recently I've been researching angels and I've talked to several people with experience with wild types of angels and frankly from what i've gathered I would not put an angel alone as that isolates their social needs, and I wouldn't put a group of angels in anything less than a 4 foot tank. The extra foot helps the loser in a group get away and survive better if they were to be bullied.

I'm sorry to disappoint that I do not keep angels but i've talked to several people with alot of experience with them. I'd just like to share.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have been keeping Angels for years, I have 2 in a 55 and 4 in a 125. I would not go any smaller then a 55, but that's me. I'am sure others will jump in and say they keep 4 in a 20.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm.. Just my .02.
By no means an expert.
Depends on size. I have kept a batch of 5 juvies (about a quarter size body) in a Planted 55g, worked out fine for about 6 months. Then "Normal" hierarchy stuff, sparing, etc..no real damage. But I did need to rehome/sell a few after a pair developed and started spawning.
Just be prepared, with a plan.

Good Luck!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree, I think they need at least a 55g. And have 4 in mine. Because if you get 1 they can't be social. 2, one is going to beat up the other. 3, usually there is the same thing but with 2 weak ones. But 4 there is enough fish for the aggression to be super spread out or for the dominant one not attach.

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Aw shucks.

Dream continues..

Thanks for the honest input, I certainly don't want a war in my tank.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As an alternative, may I suggest diamond tetras? They stay smaller than an angel but are still good size for a tetra, they have beautiful finnage as adults, a graceful swimming manner, and in a 48 gallon tank you could keep a lovely school of them. I understand your attraction to angelfish - i adore them also - but long term success with a group really does take a bigger tank. Just thougt I would throw it out there. I put diamond tetras in my 75 as filler and they turned out to be some of my favorite fish in the tank.

New Threads