Angel's gone

OneMom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Angel died last week after weeks of sickness. It was very traumatic for all of us. My children sobbed - even my 13 year old son. We held a funeral and buried her in our flower garden. Both of the kids wrote a prayer that they read at the funeral, sobbing the entire time. My husband was so choked up by their heartbreak he couldn't even speak.

We talked about how we can't even really talk to others about this, they would never understand how emotional we got over the death of one little fish. But, as all of you know, it's hard not to fall in a love with a pet that is always so happy to see you. Her tank was in the family room with us, she lived in the middle of all of our chaos with us. I think we're all shocked by how much she became a part of our life!

Anyway, we MIGHT get another Betta, but I'm hesitant. Do we have to drain the tank (10 gallon), clean it, get new plants, gravel, decorations, etc? I hate the thought of having to cycle that tank again.

I still keep thinking about Phloxface...Lava was struggling with the same symptoms as Angel. I hope Lava is healthy again.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their expertise. I haven't posted on here often, but I lurk all the time. Even when I did post, you were all generous with your responses, even though I'm not a big participant of this forum. Thank you so much for all of the information that you share...I have learned a lot from all of you!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry about the loss of your little Angel :'(. We will miss her too.

About the tank, if you do not have a fish in there to be putting out ammonia to keep the bacteria fed then the bacteria will die eventually so you will need to feed the bacteria with some ammonia every day to keep it cycled or else purchase a packet of Bio-spira and keep it in the fridge for the day that you want to get another and add it to the tank just minutes before adding the new fish. You could also go the route of letting a piece of shrimp rot in the tank or raw fish or use fish food in the tank every day but since the tank is already cycled the ammonia method makes more sense. All you do is get a bottle of ammonia at the cleaning supply section at the store in the window cleaners like where the Windex and stuff is and make sure it is not scented like "lemon scented or Mint scented" and put 4 drops in every day until the day before you get the fish. Continue to do testing of your water to see the cycle is working and your parameters are still ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates below 20 and do water changes when necessary to lower the nitrates.

When you get your fish do a 75% water change and put the little one in the tank. All should be well.

Rose

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. It is always hard, and others usually don't understand. I think you will find that you will want another betta as soon as you see them in the pet store, as your empty tank just won't be the same. :'(
I hope your hearts can heal soon.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear of the death of Angel. It's so hard to deal with that no matter what kind of animal it is. You get very attached very quickly.In time you will get another one. RIP Angel. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
We are sorry to hear of Angel's passing. It certainly doesn't take long for these little fish to make an imprint on and take a big bite out of your heart. Of course we all understand you and your family mourning your loss.You were lucky to have each other, and I am sure Angel is sitting up there telling some other lucky betta it will soon be his/her turn to live with you!!

Everyone on this forum is a softy! Our hearts break with you!! :'( Val

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
My condolences for your loss

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( :'( We're really sorry to hear that you lost your little Angel (our little white female Angel is my little water baby and beside my side of the bed). We understand how hard it is to lose one of these special pets and we had a ceremony for our Mario when we buried him under a little tree in the back yard. It's not any easier than losing a dog or cat when you've spent time growing attached to this little bundle of personality. We still miss our first little Betta Super Mario who we only had a few months (he was sick when we got him at petco.) It would be nice if everyone understood just how much of a 'real pet' they are.

When you think of the good memories she gave you and some time passes, you'll find that Betta bug calling out to you. I remember another fishlore member saying that the best tribute to a beloved Betta is to love another one. They don't replace each other, but each win a spot in our hearts. Our best to you & your family.

OneMom

Reaction score
Rose:

Thanks again for all of your wisdom. We have plain ammonia in the house, I'll add it to the tank daily.

Thanks to everyone else for all of your kind words of sympathy. I think you are the only ones who truly understand how attached we can get to our Bettas!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you're welcome and if you want to leave a tribute to little angel in the memorials forum, that's always fitting for the special fish that we lose.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about Angel.  :'(
I had been wondering how she was doing. I went through exactly the same thing with my Betta Phlox and he died a few days after losing the ability to swim to the surface. I was so grief stricken. I cried for an hour afterward. I felt just as bad as I did when I lost my cat to cancer a few months before, and all the other pets I've had in my life. I feel sorry for people who don't have the capacity to love a fish the same as you do a dog or cat or even a human friend.
I live in an apartment so I had no garden to bury him. I couldn't stand the thought of flushing him or throwing him in the trash. Fortunately someone suggested I bury him in a flower pot so I got a big flower pot and fresh soil and buried him there. It made me feel better to know his body was being respected.  I lost one of my females Whisper a couple weeks ago too and buried her next to him.
Lava is okay so far but still can't swim normally. He floats at the top but he's not laying on his side so much anymore.  He's also not hiding in the back as much either. He has a new brother and Lava has been out in front staring at his tank a few feet away.
Lava gets very excited when I come home, twirling around like a puppy and has moments when he gets very active and starts zooming around the top of the tank throughout the day. He seems healthy other than his swim bladder. I've heard that sometimes the swim bladder can heal on it's own but it may take months. I'm still hoping he will heal.  At least I'm sure he does not have any bacterial infections. He was on antibiotics pretty much steady for about 6 weeks.  He's been off them for two weeks and seems okay.
A new fish will soon fill your empty tank and even though it can't take Angel's place, there is always room in your heart for another darling fish who needs a good home. I hope you will come and post a pic of your new fish when you get him/her.

OneMom

Reaction score
Phloxface:

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I haven't had a chance to check this forum in a couple of days. I'm so glad that Lava still seems to be improving. That is great news!

I also want to thank you so much for your kind words of sympathy. I can tell that they are heartfelt...you really do understand our loss. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. My family will keep you & your fishies in our thoughts & prayers!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom