Angel's fighting?

Lebeeze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah I have another question today lol. When I put my Angel's in the 60 gallon tank they were inseparable. Best friends basically touching at all times. Fast forward a week later and now the smaller one chases the other one away if it gets too close. Like aggressively speeds towards it. Is this normal? I

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on how many and how old. I had for platinum i got around 3 months old - for 2 months they chased each other around until they decided it wasn't working out and around 5 1/2 6 months old they got along. The 2nd from the smallest still picked on the smallest a little but they mostly got along. Now at 9 months the smallest wasn't eating much and some blacks i through into the tank was terrorizing them so i put the smallest in a different tank to give it a chance to eat peacefully (it isn't eating much but it will eat a little). Now i have 5 - if you are following - it has only been a few days but the blacks are still terrorizing the platinum (the blacks are about 1 to 1 1/2 month older - so maybe 9 vs 10 1/2 - but they are bigger and i guess more aggressive). The platinum for now have maintained their social structure so maybe eventually the blacks will adjust but maybe not.
-
anyway i've always had young angels bicker and older angels bicker - people say that if you have enough in a large enough tank they will school but i've never managed to get it to happen though i was happy the 4 platinum did establish a pecking order and more or less got a long even if it took 2 to 3 months.

Lebeeze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
Depends on how many and how old. I had for platinum i got around 3 months old - for 2 months they chased each other around until they decided it wasn't working out and around 5 1/2 6 months old they got along. The 2nd from the smallest still picked on the smallest a little but they mostly got along. Now at 9 months the smallest wasn't eating much and some blacks i through into the tank was terrorizing them so i put the smallest in a different tank to give it a chance to eat peacefully (it isn't eating much but it will eat a little). Now i have 5 - if you are following - it has only been a few days but the blacks are still terrorizing the platinum (the blacks are about 1 to 1 1/2 month older - so maybe 9 vs 10 1/2 - but they are bigger and i guess more aggressive). The platinum for now have maintained their social structure so maybe eventually the blacks will adjust but maybe not.
-
anyway i've always had young angels bicker and older angels bicker - people say that if you have enough in a large enough tank they will school but i've never managed to get it to happen though i was happy the 4 platinum did establish a pecking order and more or less got a long even if it took 2 to 3 months.
Darn I was hoping to only have 2 in my tank. Hopefully they can learn to get along I really don't have the room to add more Angels!

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
two should eventually get along - i'm guessing they are young - if the same sex they will work out a pecking order and if opposite sex they will eventually pair up.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a non-mated pair in my tank. The larger one shows the smaller one whose boss occasionally but other than thet they get along just fine.

jake37 said:
How's that working out? Did you put the smaller one into the 29 gallon?

jake37

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea i put the little one in the 29 - it is the same age as the larger ones but about 1/2 the size so it fits comfortably in the 29 and it was nibbling on food last night and this morning so I'll see how it goes - i did it mostly so i could ensure it was eating and it didn't spend too much time with the others - it would go off on its own.

Amazoniantanklvr said:
I have a un-mated pair in my tank. The larger one shows the smaller one whose boss occasionally but other than thet they get along just fine.

How's that working out? Did you put the smaller one into the 29 gallon?

Lebeeze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you guys for the responses, I feel better now about my fish. I should have mentioned in my original post but yes they are very young about an inch or 2 depending on if fins count lol.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads