Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Angels & Cories? Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by shannon767, Mar 10, 2019.

1. shannon767Valued MemberMember

Hi, I have a 75g tank that has four angels and 8 or 10 bronze cories, among other fish. I changed one of the outflows last night from a regular outflow to a bar. It has drastically increased the flow in the tank, and almost all of my fish seem happier and more active in it. And that might be my problem.

The bronze cories have mostly been hanging at the bottom, but once the flow increased, they started surfing the front glass, which they love to do. At first the angels seemed kind of intrigued by their antics and would watch them kind of like we watch airplanes in the sky following them with their eyes and turning their bodies to track them.

Today, though, I see the angels head-butting them on the bottom of the tank and nipping at them. I saw a few angels congregated in the front, bottom-right corner and went to investigate. The cories have been laying eggs and the angels are tearing up my plants sucking the eggs off the leaves like the Hoovers they are..

Now the angels seem to be actively chasing the cories. I’m thinking they have decided to go directly after the egg source? Is this crazy? I’ve always heard cories were great choices to house with angels. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Any advice for me? So far the cories seem unfazed and unhurt, and I don’t want that to change. Please help.

Thank you.

2. SM1199Well Known MemberMember

Obviously the cories are happy and not pestered that much if they're breeding. I wouldn't be so worried as long as the cories definitely aren't being hurt, and are not missing any sections of fins/scales/etc. I don't blame the angels, if I was used to having a bunch of space with my friends all day I would probably be a little annoyed if a bunch of rambunctious little kids started running around right in front of my face all day. All the fish will most likely do one of two things in the next week: 1) figure out the new and exciting tank setup and stop pestering each other, or 2) get increasingly bothered with each other and get more aggressive. I'm thinking 1 is more likely, but if 2 happens, then you can always decrease the flow again so everyone is a bit more chill. You could even adjust the bar so you can keep the setup but get the flow in a different direction to make everyone happier.

3. shannon767Valued MemberMember

Thank you. I do tend to worry a lot. I work very hard to keep things peaceful and I worry about one of the fish getting too stressed. I added one more section to the spray bar in the hopes of toning down the strength of the flow while still keeping some additional movement. The angels were literally trying to eat the eggs from the belly of the Cory before she could lay them. She seems to be evading them for now, and I also tried to help by giving them a big meal so they’ll leave her alone. Knock on wood, everything seems to be calm for the moment.

This is my first time keeping angels and they’re quite different from the other fish I’ve kept. They are voracious eaters and go after literally everything they see including any part of a mystery snail they can get their lips on. Is that normal for them?

4. SM1199Well Known MemberMember

I have personally never owned angels, but from what I understand reading about them on Fishlore, this is totally normal for them. A fish with an appetite is a healthy fish! Loss of appetite is the only thing I'd ever be worried about.

5. ZentuckyfriedchickenWell Known MemberMember

The worst my angel does is steal their pellets. My pleco is a bigger monster.

6. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Interesting I have 6 angels 2 Cory’s and 2 pecostumus. My angels will nibble on algae wafers but the don’t bother Cory. Actually have pick of them eating side by side. Of course if another angel comes over to take a nibble the other angel will shoo them away.

Attached Files:

7. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

My angelfish and rams will gang pile my pleco's food. I have to place the food in areas my angels can't get into as easily like a cave or inside a decor piece (I have this artificial animal skull piece that works well for this). I also feed my plecos at night so the angels can't find the algae wafers as well, because if they do, they will pick it apart, even swimming off with large pieces. They are gluttons. FYI, my rams do the same although they are smaller and less intrusive.

Cory cats like meaty foods like shrimp pellets. Most cories are nocturnal as well, so maybe try feeding the bottom feeders when lights are out.

8. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

I'm guessing they know that when they get the eggs the corys aren't to far away or they actually saw them laying the eggs and ate them right afterm so they associate the catfish with the free food source.

9. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Those brats! I wouldn't put it passed them. Plecos lay their eggs in caves luckily, I've never had to deal with that. Hopefully they are not hurting the cories.

10. shannon767Valued MemberMember

That’s exactly what happened. And this particular Cory (maybe it’s all of them, I don’t know) has the eggs hanging from her belly until she can place them somewhere. So the angels are literally trying to pick them from her belly.

11. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yikes! Are they hurting the cories?

12. shannon767Valued MemberMember

That’s what I was worried about, but they seem to be able to get away by going under the wood or into the plants. No one looks injured and they are not afraid to come out, so I guess they’re okay.

13. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Good. It sounds a bit brutal, but fish usually work things out, it must be a natural instinct. As long as they can get away and have enough hides/cover, I think it's ok.

14. Alvin JohnsonNew MemberMember

Interesting I have 6 angels 2 Cory’s and 2 pecostumus. My angels will nibble on algae wafers but the don’t bother Cory. Actually have pick of them eating side by side. Of course if another angel comes over to take a nibble the other angel will shoo them away.