Angels attacking pleco

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today I added an L200 high fin green spot pleco to my 30g tank. He has slowly become bolder and moving around the tank. I noticed that when he was on the glass the angels peck him until he swims away off the glass. The angel side is more the left but it doesn't seem to matter anywhere on the glass get's there attention and they go after him. They have ignored all other tank residents as far as I have seen to date. When he is on the bottom or driftwood they leave him alone. What's causing this?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be a number of things. It could territorial since your pleco is new to the tank. Perhaps its coloring are attracting the Angelfish. I've don't have any experience keep the pleco you are talking about so I'm sure someone will come along and help you better.

Keep an eye on it for a few days and see if the nipping goes away or if the pleco is being too harassed and maybe needing moved to another tank.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I talked to the guy whom I bought the angels from he say's they are just curious. They reacted the same way to the barbs they were housed with before. They leave him alone when he is on the wood or bottom. It makes sense because one of my ram's has laid claim to the area underneath the angel side of the tank and they never bother him even when he is literally under them.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be territorial, could be attracted to the colours or it could be simple curiosity. Sometimes Plecos just make easy targets. I've actually had Rummynoses attack the eyes of a Bristlenose before to the point that I've had to remove the BN.

Like Jrobber said, just keep an eye on it & make sure it doesn't get out of hand, move or remove the Pleco if you need to.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is sure in a few day's they will stop they are just drawn to him because he is new. They aren't even nipping his fins really just the side of his body.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
Could be territorial, could be attracted to the colours or it could be simple curiosity. Sometimes Plecos just make easy targets. I've actually had Rummynoses attack the eyes of a Bristlenose before to the point that I've had to remove the BN.

Like Jrobber said, just keep an eye on it & make sure it doesn't get out of hand, move or remove the Pleco if you need to.
I'm hoping it's just he curiosity which it seems to be with this group. I really like the colour of this pleco and hsi previous owner said he wasn't shy so it's win win. I'll keep an eye on him and will sell him if I have to.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
UPDATE: It seems it was curiosity, watched the pleco swim on the glass in the daytime and they don't take notice anymore more interested in each other. Glad I don't need to get rid of him I really like his green colour.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom