Angels are fighting - are they both female or male?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by oscarsbud, Jan 3, 2013.

1. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I noticed last night that my two biggest angels have started fighting. I should say one is chasing and beating on the other. They were even locking lips for a bit. Now the bigger one headbutts the smaller one and then the smaller one turns around and chases the next one down in size. I took a little video this afternoon. The fighting part is just at the beginning. I'm still not so great at cropping. And the picture quality isn't the greatest but you will get the idea. I thought they were both females but now I'm not sure. The other guys all seem to get along fine. It is just these two that have an issue with each other.

[video=youtube_share;tu4W7Dd-ots]http://youtu.be/tu4W7Dd-ots[/video]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Video won't play on my phone. If no one responds I will check it out tonight.

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I am only 45 seconds in and i can tell you you need to remove one... the one that was doing all the attacking should be removed IMO... and yes I believe they are both male...

4. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

They don't do it all the time - just when they are in that particular part of the tank. And the one fish is the only one he goes after. Wouldn't it be better to remove the one being bullied? I can put him in my 75 gallon tank. Or do you think the bully will just move on to another one?

I was kind of hoping it was more a ritualistic type of thing like with my cats and once one established he was boss, it would settle down.

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I can't say if he will go after any others... you could move the bullied one and see if that happens... if so remove the bully

6. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

My personal opinion (not professional opinion ;) ) if the two Angels don't do it all the time, I don't think it warrants a removal. I have two Angels that do that too, but usually ones back off after a while and I always thought it was a sign of dominance that the hierarchy is being established.

I can be mistaken though. I would continue to monitor, if it gets worse then I would switch it up.

Btw...Your Angels are looking great!!

7. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

the tank looks kinda empty... lots of hiding spots would deff help.

8. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Thanks. They are really coloring up nicely.

I think I will keep the status quo for now and see if it gets any worse. As long as the one stays on the other side of the tank, there aren't any problems. If he seems to have trouble staying in his own yard, I will remove him to the other tank.

That's just the one side. This is what the whole tank looks like:

IMG_1092.jpg

As you can see, there are plenty of hiding places for them. There was a lot of cabomba (sp) and guppy grass, but they ate most of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  9. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Looks like mating dance to me.

10. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

looks good but some tall plants might help as they like the top. here is my angel tank, 75g. some of the fake plants and decorations are in to help it cycle so ill be taking them out soon.
    IMG_20130103_153230.jpg

deff fighting.

11. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

You tank looks great. I just put a banana plant in there and am hoping that will do something. The cabomba was pretty tall until they ate it. And I was hoping the sword would do a bit more. Maybe now that I have better lighting (not the right lighting, but better than I had), I can get something that will get some height to it.

I also got a huge gnarly looking grapevine that I am drying out to put in there. That will give it multiple levels.

12. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

yeah my angels have been eating plants also. i thought they did good with plants but turns out they really are cichlids lol. my tank will have tons of plants so they cant keep up with eating them all lol. i pulled all that tall water spite out of my 15g lol.

i deff think some things to break up line of sight might help them.

13. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Locking lips is the classic sign of mating, they don't do that if they are fighting. But when they lay eggs, we will know fore sure:)

14. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i have never associated lip locking with mating. my pairs have never been lip locking they are always nice to each other and fight with the other fish. this is my experience and your right well see if they end up laying eggs together.

15. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I tend to agree, the 2 that are 'fighting' in the early part are males. The smaller one appears to be female, but hard to say for sure. It looks like they could be pairing up. If this is the case, the pair should be rehomed. It is very common when angels in a community start pairing up that the pair be separated from the rest to avoid 'dessimation' of the rest of the community.
    Angels (like many cichlids) are very protective parents, particularly if they spawn. Have you seen any signs of them cleaning a flat vertical surface? Long plant leaves for example?

Hopefully some more experienced eyes can say for sure....

And yes, they're great looking angels :)

16. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

The smaller of the two that were squabbling appeared, at times, to be picking off tiny bits of whatever off the filter intake. So if it turns out they are a pair, would I put them in the 75 gallon tank? Wouldn't that cause problems for the occupants of that tank? I don't have anywhere else to put them.

17. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I currently have a pair of Angels that spawns in my community tank (a couple of times) and all they did was chase other fish and Angels away from their eggs. My tank is only 100g and you have a 150g tank which I think the other residents would be fine.

Also, you can always take the eggs away to curb the aggression down.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I like that idea. I think I will go with that unless something drastic happens.

19. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I think that my bully angel has paired up with one of the black ones. The two of them are spending a lot of time together and they were both cleaning off the filter intake. All the rest of the angels are starting to stay at the other end of the tank.

It was kind of funny - the bully fish was trying to chase his own reflection in the glass.

20. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Just now able to see your video. That fighting is nothing to be overly concerned with. Your angels are maturing and starting to pair off. You have 2 males fighting for dominance and the right to breed with your black female.

Males will charge and twitch like that until the other one accepts his lower place on the totem pole. Liplocking is also nothing to be overly concerned with so long that they do not cause damage.

Looks like the pearlscale male will win the fight.

Odds are in another month the two males will again fight. And it is entirely possible for the second male to win dominance and breeding rights. I had this happen in my 90G tank. The female would breed with 3 different males. And each time she got ready to spawn the war would break out. The same male rarely won from month to month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice