Angels and silverdollars

Jeffhvacr02

Reaction score
I was wondering about adding an angel to an established tank with silverdollars, clown plecos, redeyed swordtails, cory cat and turquois rainbows.  Are these tank mates o.k. for angel fish?  I've heard that angels should only be in spiecies specific tank, and then that they can co-habbitate with others in a community tank.  What should I go with, I really like angels, but don't have space for yet an other tank.  I just added a gold rfish tank to my living room and my wife would kill me if I bring home another.  All these fish I listed in the other tank and are at full grown sizes or half way (silverdollars). If these fish are o.k. should I get an angel of 2-3in. or smaller or bigger?  Yes this tank is being up graded from 38 gal to a home made self designed 75gal all glass tank.  All the fish now are pretty relaxed with each other, would this work or don't disturb the mix?  Also if it is o.k. would one alone be fine or should I get a pair? ???

Thanks
jeff

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm afraid Angelfish are not compatible with Silver Dollars. Angelfish can be kept in community tanks as long as the other fish species are not the types that will want to be dominant. Angelfish tend to be dominant - they like to establish their territories. If you get another fish species with the same temperament, there will be a lot of fighting.

I have kept my Angelfish with a school of peaceful Neon Tetras. In my next tank, I'll also keep Angels mostly with peaceful schooling species that are not aggressive and territorial. Angelfish should not mind other smaller peaceful fishes. But they will definitely mind bigger and more aggressive fishes.

P.S. If you want to keep a school of small fish with Angels, it's better to buy Angels while they're still small, so that they grow up around the small school of other fish. If you buy adult Angelfish that have been raised in an Angelfish-only tank, they may eat the smaller fishies.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm with Isabella. I think the silver dollars would find your angel's fins irresistable, and torture them mercillessly. Eventhough angels are cichlids, they are some of the more docile fish in the cichlid family, and nippy fish like silver dollars will terrorize them. It would be a beautiful tank though I wouldn't risk it.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
If you raise the angels and neons from babies, you might get lucky. Neons are the natural food for angels in the wild.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I put the neons in with my angel tank I put them in first and got larger neons (green neons and black neons)Then I put the angels in. Angels will eat anything that will fit in their mouths.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jim, the reason why my Angels do not eat my Neons is that I bought my Angels while they were still small. They were raised with the Neons. They never ate one Neon, nor did they ever bother my Neons.

But I believe that if you put adult Angelfish, especially those that grew up around other Angels only or around other larger fish, they would probably eat any small fish like Neons.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
So sngels and silver dollars would not go good together even in a 1000 gallon tank?(wondering for future tanks ;D ). Because in my future tanks I had wanted to have about 30 angels and about 30 silver dollars in a 1000 gallon tank.
Tom

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
1000 gallon?
Wow, I am really impressed. You think big!!!
And I think at that size you could put in just about anything short of a whale shark!!!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay. In my dream house I want to have 5 1000 gallon tanks. One for barbs, one for tetras, one for possibly angels and silver dollars, one for gouramis, and one Misc. tank. Each one holds a variety of different fishies.
And another question about angelfish going with other fish, would 9 discus go peacefully with 30 angels and 30 silver dollars in a 1000 gallon tank?
Tom

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
That's a good question... I imagine they would be OK in a tank that big, except discus like very very warm tanks... I'd just add another room, and another 1000 gallon tank just for the discus!  I'd love to see just how big they'd grow in a tank that sized.

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
My tank is at about 80F. Remember, Angels are Amazon fish, and you know how bad those blizzards can get in the Amazon! hehehe

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh, not good. You might want to move the tank away from the fireplace and get a good heater. Too hot is just as bad as too cold. Those prarie winds are brutal! I won't tell you about the weather here, you'd get ****! hehehe

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank is about 2-3ft away and the heat from there isn't that much heat from the fire place anyways. It is one of the California versions were it is meant to look at and not heat the room/house. If I offend anyone, I'm sorry. About 2 years ago when we almost reached our coldest temp for about 50 years, I was down in Disney Land. The cold doesn't bother me anyways, I'm what they call a 'warm-blooded teen', where the cold is almost not noticed.
Tom

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you SERIOUSLY thinking about a 1,000 gallon tank !!!??? A huge "good luck" with it! It will be like a swimming pool. Hmm ... speaking about a swimming pool. Just buy a house with a huge indoor swimming pool and make a fish tank out of it!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I am VERY SERIOUSabout getting 5 tanks that size. I could get build an indoor swimming pool, but that would be way to much work to maintain compared to the individual tanks. The tanks won't be for a few years when I get a house with the floor support to, well, support the min. of 5000lbs. But back to my main question of, would angels and silver dollars be fine in a tank like that and would discus be fine as well or should I get another tank for the discus?
Tom

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
Tom, you should move down here and get a job at Seaworld in Orlando... you'd LOVE the monster tanks they have. Some are 50,000 gallon or bigger! I'd love to own a tank so big you need scuba gear to clean!

New Threads