Angels and Rams

1. stashattack Member Member

Hi everyone!

In the future I want to get a larger tank and I want to have a cichlid set up. I was thinking a mix of Angels and Rams.

Would these two breads be fine with each other?

How big of a tank would I need to have a single breading pair for each fish?

2. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I think that a 55 gal would give them enough room to make territories and coexist semi-peacefully. Just make sure there is lots of plants and hiding places.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would think that you could probably squeeze them into a 37 (as it is a rather tall tank) but that might be pushing the lower limits of it. Of course the bigger the better, the 55 would make things alot easier for all parties involved.

4. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

I would go bigger personally.
    Less chance for issues to arise.
    Use caution when picking your specific fish :)

5. stashattack Member Member

Thank you guys for the answers. Well this will be something for the not so close future :p college and ballroom eats up the money.

How would you suggest going about getting pairs. Getting a bunch of each and seeing who pairs up, or get an established pair of each species?

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The easy way is to just get a few males and a few females and see what pairs up, the downfall is having to deal with the unpaired fish. You can also spend a little more and get proven pairs (althou there is no garuntee that they will prove again either that all depends on water quality and conditions really.)

7. stashattack Member Member

Could I do this with both species at the same time?

8. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Yes ,but it could go wrong if you do that.

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

If your primary intent is to breed and raise their fry, you really should consider separate tanks, or dividing a larger tank. Otherwise, the fry would most likely be eaten.

As to finding pairs, you could expect to spent a lot more on a mated pair than on individuals. Angels are very difficult to sex; and depending on which ram you were interested in, they can be tricky or very easy.

What most do is to purchase a group of 6, raise them, and let them pair off naturally. With 6 the odds are that you will end up with at least one pair. Then you can sell the others.

Good luck with your breeding project.

10. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I keep several Angelfish in a 125 gallon tank together. Out of all of them I only have one pair that lays eggs every few weeks. With it being a community type tank I have not been able to get the eggs to last more than 48 hours without them being eaten by someone. If you are looking to try and raise the fry I would keep the pairs in separate tanks. Angelfish are normally very good parents but to have the greatest amount of success the fry need to be moved to their own tank once they become free swimming. Some Angel keepers move the eggs as soon as they are laid.

As far as keeping Angels and Rams together I have had success with it to some degree. They normally get along OK, my problem has been with the Rams not living for more than 6 to 8 months. I contribute this to my water being extremely hard and having a very high pH.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I keep bolivan rams with my angels, I have not had much luck with GBRs or gold rams, they live for a while( a few months) then suddenly die for no apparent reason (I also have chalked it up to hard water)

12. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I had 2 rams and 3 angels in my 40 gallon. The rams died of columnaris and an infection, which was very sad, but they never squabbled with the angels. The biggest problem was that they bullied each other, and the angel males get into squabbles over the girl.

13. stashattack Member Member

That's good news. I know some chiclids don't do well together and I was hoping that wasn't the case with these two. They are such beautiful fish and I don't think I could resist them if I had the money for them :p