Angels And Rainbows? 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by PirateKingJoe, Aug 5, 2019.

1. PirateKingJoe

PirateKingJoeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    i have a 75 gallon tank with two hang on back filters.

Would angelfish be good tankmates with these fish?

1 boesemani rainbowfish
    2 Madagascar rainbowfish
    1 albino weather loach
    3 black skirt tetras
    3 lemon tetras
    And multiple species of cory cats

My mother loves angelfish and since I’m off at college most of the time, I want her to have something she likes in the tank.

Would angelfish pick on these fish?

2. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Angel's can be agressive to almost any fish and especially smaller fish. There are no guarantees that particular angel's are less agressive than others. However, that being said, if you buy young angels and grow them with the other inhabitants you do have a better chance that they will not pick on your other fish. Hope this helps.

3. Katestanks02

Katestanks02Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    I keep angelfish with my rainbows and I only ever see the angelfish pick on each other occasionally. The only fish in your tank I’d be worried about are the black skirt tetras. Usually people advise not keeping angels with fish that have a similar body shape because it triggers aggression towards them.

4. OP
    OP
    PirateKingJoe

Ratings:
    +7
    My black skirts are somewhat aggressive themselves. And quite large. I feel they could and would defend themselves, and if not the tank has hiding spaces galore so breaking line of site wouldn’t be an issue.

if you buy young angels and grow them with the other inhabitants you do have a better chance that they will not pick on your other fish.

I was thinking of the ones around 3 inches tall, including fins. Would that be young enough?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
  5. johnbirg

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    3 inches including the fins should be fine. That means the body would be about an inch in diameter so a good size. It also helps if the tank you buy them from has some other species in it but that's not so important. Just make sure your water is spot-on and that there isn't too much current because they really don't like fast flowing water. You should do well!

6. Katestanks02

Katestanks02Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +82
    Experience:
    1 year
    If you start with younger Angels chances are they’d be fine. Just keep an eye out and have a back up plan just in case. Angels are fun to watch, I love mine.

7. OP
    OP
    PirateKingJoe

Ratings:
    +7
    The local fish store I go to has them with corydoras cats and Siamese algae eaters and sometimes neons

8. OP
    OP
    PirateKingJoe

Ratings:
    +7
    My cousin has a 75 gallon as well but with rosey barbs and diamond tetras. If they don’t work out they can go there I guess

9. johnbirg

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In the wild neon tetras are part of the Angels natural food chain. I found this out the hard way when the four fully grown Black marble angels cleaned out 30 neons overnight. Very expensive snack!!!!:dead:

10. OP
    OP
    PirateKingJoe

Ratings:
    +7
    The neons are only with the small angels. The bigger angels are kept in their own species only tanks with the live plants they sell and some snails

11. johnbirg

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, the bigger angels would clean up the neons really quick. So that's why I suggested getting small ones. Anyhow I think you have the picture.