Angels and PH

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi im thinking of getting angels at some stage but i read that they prefer neutral to slightly acidic water. My tap water is a little over 8 on the PH scale, how sensitive are Angels to PH? Would it be safe to try or should i lower the ph in my tank? Also if I need to lower it can anyone reccomend a method or product to do it? Thanks

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good evening,

Here is a link on pH that you may find helpful. It will give you natural ways of altering your pH without the use of chemicals. pH buffers and other chemicals used to alter pH levels can be unstable and lead to a pH crash. I don't recommend any of them.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Angelfish.htm

Best wishes!
Ken

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First off you need to make sure you have an accurate reading of your pH. If you didn't before you need to put some tap water in a bucket with an air stone and let it sit for 24 hours. Then test and you will get a true pH reading. My RO water comes out at 6-6.2 and after 24 hours it is at 8.2. My tank stays at 8.2 all the time. I have angels at that pH just make sure you acclimate them slowly. Unless your pH is way off the charts (8.0 is not) then I would not mess with your pH. It is hard to keep it consistent when you try to alter it, and that is what the fish want consistent. They will handle a pH of 8.0 better then they would pH that fluctuates all the time.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My tap has a very high pH as well as an over-abundance of minerals. In order to soften my water and lower the pH, I use Discus Buffer and Neutral Buffer by Seachem. You mix them in a ratio that will maintain a stable pH while softening the water.

I have never had an issue with pH bounce. I test the water before each water change to determine how to mix the ratio. 1:1 yields 6.8 pH, 2:1 yields 6.6 pH, 3:1 yields 6.4 pH, etc.

If you decide to adjust your pH, I would not recommend doing so with fish in the tank. This way you could make your adjustments, and attempt to maintain it without causing a pH swing, which is even more deadly to any inhabitants.

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies, I'm probably going to leave the ph alone and be very careful while acclimating the fish, hopefully everything will go swimmingly

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads