angels and neon tetras

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Will angels get along with neon tetras? I am considering switching my tanks around putting the bigger fish in the 72 gal and the smaller in the 35.

Thanks much

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I do keep angels with neons....but they grew up with them....and its planted....there are other members who also keep angels with neons..but its a risk as angels will eat them if they can fit them in their mouths or catch them....

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks Shawnie for responding. As you know I was supposed to buy and put something in the 72 gal for birth control and could not go thru with it. Now I have 2 bolivian rams, 1 dwarf flame gourami, 1 angel in my 35 gal with 3 ottos and 2 panda cories. I am considering putting the guppies back in the 35 and moving the fish from the 35 to the 72. I would like to leave the neons in the 72 along with the platies. Of course the platies look like stomachs with fins and the neons are a good size, they will not fit in an angels mouth. Intially I thought angels would do ok by themselves but am reading that they like small groups of buddies, is that so???? I know that I cant put more angels in the 35. That is the reason I am thinking of switching. Right now the rams, dg and angel all swim together. They are getting along fine, today the rams even came up top to eat with the others. That was a first for them.

Sorry for the long post, I just want them all to be comfortable.

4. belleekgirl Member Member

We had angels with our neons for a while, then the angels got bigger and started going on rampages and killing everything else. So- out went the angels (we gave them to a friend with an angel tank). So- for a while you probably will be okay, but at some point angels get bigger and don't play well.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

my angels all are together with the exception of one pair...i have 5 in my 75g with parrots, dempsey, pictus, jewels and cons..i had a single one in there and it was loney for sure...but again, cichlids are unpredictable so have a back up plan ;)

6. Regal Well Known Member Member

I had neons with my angels and they seemed fine but after a while (like a year) all the neons had vanished. I never saw any get eaten but there were no dead neons and the angels were more than big enough to snack on them.