Angels And Clown Loaches Help

1. C_mats54 Member Member

So I've been holding out on getting angels for a long time because I never really liked the stock my LFS carried, until today. I was so excited to bring home a pair of beautiful angels (a pearlscale koi and another pearlscale, but I'm not sure which type) and get them into my 75 community. Almost as soon as they went in, my group of 3 clown loaches (~2.5 inches) started nipping at them intensely

I just dropped a few algae wafers in the tank and the loaches are distracted for now, but I'd hate for these angels to get stressed at all! If things go from bad to worse at any point, I have a back up plan- a 29 gallon tank where the angels could be temporarily rehomed.

I'd like to avoid losing either of these fish, the loaches bring a lot of personality to the tank and the angels look great, but I'll do what I have to. Any advice?

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Actually, it isn't that uncommon of a problem; clown loaches can be really bad fin nippers to those with the longer finance (like angels). Sometimes they are okay, but I've seen a lot of cases were they've stressed the angels to death by annoying/nipping them, and in some cases, they'll even attack them when they are in breeding behaviors.

Therefore, I do think you should rehome the angels to the 30g (applause for the back up plan!) for now just to keep them safe; it isn't ideal, but they'll be fine for awhile :)

(Crazy how those rambunctious sweet clowns can turn out to be secretly evil!)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. C_mats54 Member Member

Okay so I may have slightly overreacted to the situation at hand...
    The loaches seemed to have just been curious because now they're swimming right past the angels without a care, and the angels no longer back away when the loaches pass by! The same thing happened with my school of cherry barbs when I first introduced the loaches to the tank, they nipped and chased for about an hour, and have peacefully coexisted since!

I will most definitely continue to monitor for any more nipping and will certainly rehome if the situation requires!
    And thank you for the quick response!
    I should've known what was going on, I just didn't want my fish to get hurt!

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have a plan to get the clown loaches a bigger tank? They do need a group of 6+ and a 150g minimum eventually.

5. C_mats54 Member Member

I am planning to upgrade the 75 to a 125 at some point in the near future, I haven't decided whether or not I'm keeping the loaches. (if I do, I'll increase their school when I upgrade the tank). Right now it's looking like the loaches aren't gonna make the cut, most of my fish are peaceful and slow and are at risk for the loaches nippy behavior!

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, OK. Good to know.

7. C_mats54 Member Member

Unfortunately, I wound up returning the clown loaches to my LFS. The angels were very stressed and I think my community in general is better off without the threat of a group of fin nippers that could snap at any moment! Just wanted to let you two know!

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Good decision!