Angelfish's Bottom Lip Got Bit Off.

LizzyCupcake

I have five angelfish in a 55 gallon. I put them in here to pair off and then move a selected pair to my empty 20 gallon to breed. I saw two of my male angels locking lips and fighting once. When I came home the smaller of the two was hiding and couldn't close it's mouth. closer inspection and it's bottom lip was all torn up. His gills are staying open and he can't close close his mouth. He's in bad shape. What should I do?

GrayGray4231

Pic?

LizzyCupcake

Image1523294187.836036.jpg

His gills are staying open and a piece of his lip is hanging off.

GrayGray4231

Aww, poor baby! I have no idea what to do for it, but give it some time and it should be fine.

Rainy day

What are your water parameters at? Also, separate him so that he doesn't get attacked again. Pristine water will speed along the healing process.

LizzyCupcake

My parameters are 0 nitrites, 15 nitrates, .25 ammonia. The only other tank I have available was set up yesterday so I think that putting him in there would kill him.

Rainy day

My parameters are 0 nitrites, 15 nitrates, .25 ammonia. The only other tank I have available was set up yesterday so I think that putting him in there would kill him.

If he's the only fish in the tank it's fine, he won't pollute the tank that quickly. You'll just have to watch the parameters and do frequent water changes.

Though if you aren't diligent , the poor water quality will cause additional stress. Leave him in the 55 if the other male is done with him, if he isn't you'll need to separate them, some how.

BettaMomma

Poor little buddy! Definitely need as little stress on the guy as possible to keep up his immune system and keep those water parameters in check. I hope all works out :/

Mom2some

bizaliz3 is a resident angel expert who has seen her share of aggression. Maybe she will have an idea.

bizaliz3

Use filter media from your established tank for the 20 gallon filter.

You need to get him moved pronto and do small daily water changes with prime.

Mcasella

He likely has lock jaw or a broken jaw from the liplocking, if a fish is liplocking it is to the point of separating because these are cichlids you are dealing with, they live up to that and can do a lot of damage.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
ashleighh28
Replies
Views