Plants:

3 anubias nana
1 anubias barteris
3 bacopa
4 ammania sengalis
3 el nino ferns
2 java ferns
1 amazon sword

I was wondering if I could have an angelfish in the tank? With my current stock.
or any other medium sized, middle to top dwelling centerpiece fish? The employee at the LFS told me a GBR would attack my loaches.
Could I do a duo/trio of pearl gouramis?

(also possibly 2 platies and maybe a swordtail?)

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are the tank's dimensions?
Is it possible for you to get two that are paired up? One would either be a little lonely or aggressive.
Keep in mind, the angels may bully the mollies. I have seen it reported where the angel was introduced and the mollies just shyed away all the time. Monitor them closely.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
1 year
AquaticQueen said:
What are the tank's dimensions?
Is it possible for you to get two that are paired up? One would either be a little lonely or aggressive.
Keep in mind, the angels may bully the mollies. I have seen it reported where the angel was introduced and the mollies just shyed away all the time. Monitor them closely.
Hmmm... I feel like a pair may be too aggressive, and I don't want to risk any possible eggs or anything ^^

I'll get dimensions, just a sec-

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the pair is paired up, they may get a little territorial with it comes to breeding, but other than that, I can't see them doing the other fish any harm.
If they did have eggs, the other fish would gobble up the eggs and fry (if they actually get the chance to hatch) before it became a problem.
Buuuut, it's a little hard to find 2 already up paired up angels and you probably want to use the other method of getting a pair: Add 4-5 angels, wait for 2 to pair up, and rehome the rest.
So I guess 1 would be okay.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Personally I always follow the rule that if you keep a proven pair of angels you need to set aside a tank of their own.

Angels can get quite lonely so I only recommend getting them in groups of 5+ in a 4 foot or larger tank.

You could do a trio of pearl gouramis.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A temp of 75-78 is on the cool side for angels anyhow, so wouldn't recommend them in this tank.
A trio of pearl gourami could work. 1 male, 2 females if you do.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nataku said:
A temp of 75-78 is on the cool side for angels anyhow, so wouldn't recommend them in this tank.
A trio of pearl gourami could work. 1 male, 2 females if you do.
Wonderful thank you all! I think I may go with the pearl gouramis.

One other note-
My mom loves neon tetras. Do they fit in my tank with the current stock and stats?

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So long as you keep the mollies from flooding your tanks with babies, yes, you could do a school at 12-16 neon tetras in this tank alongside 3 pearl gourami just fine.
Just keep the Molly population under control or you will shortly find yourself overrun with hundreds of Molly fry.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nataku said:
So long as you keep the mollies from flooding your tanks with babies, yes, you could do a school at 12-16 neon tetras in this tank alongside 3 pearl gourami just fine.
Just keep the Molly population under control or you will shortly find yourself overrun with hundreds of Molly fry.
Yes of course! I don't have a male so my females are on their last batches right about now. I'm raising the fry in a breeder net and trading them with my LFS periodically ^^

New Threads