Angelfish

hazfish

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon tank and was thinking about getting some angelfish. I would like to have three angels, along with some suitable tankmates. Would this be a good idea? My main worry is that keeping a small group of angels may make them more aggressive toward each other than keeping a group of six or more angels.

Please let me know what you think,

hazfish

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keeping 3 Angels would be fine, your tank is large enough for them

You might get lucky an get 2 Females And a Male

Isabella has Angels im sure she will give you the info you need

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Three would be fine as far as tank size is concerned and you may get a pair this way, but as they get ready to spawn the third one will get picked on and an alternate tank will be needed to prevent the odd man out from possibly being killed.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Three angels are OK, number-wise, for a 55 gallon tank. But if two of them pair up and begin to breed, they'll probably harass the third angel, which wouldn't be good. I'd recommend only 2 angels per one tank - be it a 30 or a 55, or even a 75, gallon tank. This way, whether they pair up or not, there is no "third fish left out and bullied". I suppose one could have 4 (or 6) angels in a 75 gallon tank, and even more angels in larger tanks because in such tanks there is more space to run away and hide if any fish are bullied. But nevertheless, angelfish can be very territorial and quite aggressive during breeding times, and for this reason it's best to have a mated pair (or just 2 angels of the same sex) per one tank. Unless, you were 100% sure that all of the 3 angels are either males or females. And this is not possible - you can only know their sex once they start to breed. If you get 3 angels, there are 4 possible combinations you'll have: (1) 2 males and 1 female; (2) 2 females and 1 male; (3) 3 males; and (4) 3 females. Therefore, there is a 50-50 chance that you either will or will not get a mated pair. And a mated pair - as mentioned above - may bully the third angel.

That's my opinion

hazfish

Reaction score
Thank you all for of your input. I think I will go with two angels. What do you think about three Pictus catfish and a blue Gourami as tankmates?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would put gouramis in with angels, they tend to pick at the angels fins. Not sure about the pictus cats-you might want to do some research on them.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom