Angelfish

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Manicivy, May 10, 2006.

1. ManicivyValued MemberMember

Just bought a 29 gallon tank and have been buying accessories/setting it up. I will cycle it fishless! I was thinking of trying angelfish in it. Are they happier in pairs or are they ok by themselves? I would like to put cories in as well and am still thinking about what else would fit...any suggestions?

2. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Angelfish are definitely happy in pairs :) I don't know much about cories so I can't help you with that. If you're seriously thinking about angelfish, make sure that everything that goes in with them is compatible with them. If you're getting angelfish that are still very young and small in size, you can get smaller fish with them such as neons and other tetras, or even some other small fish kinds. However, if you're getting fully grown angels, be careful with putting any smaller fishes with them. Angels have quite a personality. If they were not raised with small fish from babies, they may regard small fish as food. Their mouths are pretty large when they're grown, so they could easily eat smaller fish! I personally have 2 angelfish that have been raised with 12 neons from babies, so they are used to the neons and don't even bother with them.

3. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I've heard you can get 1 angelfish, or at least 6, because they will become aggressive with each other if they are not paired with a male/female, and 6 would assure they would not be aggressive. Also for angels, you will want a tank that is at least 18 inches tall. If you keep angelfish, you will want it to have many plants, fake or live will work

I have never heard of anyone pairing cories with angels, but its worth a try. It will probably work because the cories are not fin nippers and are peaceful. If you do decide to get cories and angels, you should keep a close eye on them the first 2-3 weeks to make sure they can live together without any problem. A quarrel or 2 will most likely occur, but as long as there is no damage to the angels or cories, you should be okay. Hope the info helped!

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I think you meant getting 6 angels for the purpose of them pairing off. Most breeders keep angels in larger groups so that pairs form and produce more offspring. Once they pair off, the breeders separate the pair from the rest. I don't think it's necessary to have so many angels in a home tank. For 6 angels you'd need like a 75 gallon tank since they can be territorial, and they're not small fish either. It's OK to have one pair in a 30 gallon tank. In fact more than 2 angles in a 30G tank will be too many. If you packed 6 angels into a 30G tank, they'd definitely be fighting because there would always be at least one pair that would lay eggs very often and fight other angels trying to protect the eggs. Besides, there would be NO SPACE for 6 angels in such a small tank. Most home aquarists don't even keep so many angels in large tanks.

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The angels and cories will be fine together. My Black Lace angel eats shrimp pellets with his fellow cories :) they get along really well.
    Carol

6. ManicivyValued MemberMember

thanks for the help! I do plan on getting the smaller angelfish and watching them grow!

7. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

You will love your angelfish! Butterfly and I have cousins from the same breeder, and I just love mine! 2 of them would be good for that size tank. The cory cats will help keep the bottom clean and give you activity on the bottom level. I know it's gonna be tempting, but stay away from the gouramis and bettas for the top level of activity. Your angels won't like them very much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice