angelfish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bryce1217, Dec 2, 2012.

1. b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

im looking at doing angelfish in a tank in the future. i would like to get a breeding pair. i heard that angelfish school until they pair off. is this true becuase my petstroe doesnt sell grown angelfish. they just sell small ones. should i get a few angelfish until they pair off?

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank in question? The minimum size recommended for an angel pair is a 29g. Most people start with 6 or more angels, and let them pair off. To have 6 juvie angels you should have at least a 55g tank, preferably 75g.

3. OP
    OP
    b

40 gallon. i was told that i could keep one pair of angels in a 40 gallon with a blue gourami and 6 bloodfin tetras.

4. nippybetta

I'm not sure about the blue gourami. Some can be pretty feisty. If you want to raise fry, I'd only do the angel pair, and maybe a small pleco.

5. OP
    OP
    b

i plan in getting a qt tank to raise the angels.vwhat would you suggest to for a 40 gallon angel tank? how many angels and good tank mates?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Once the Angels pair off, they are going to rule the tank. In my 33g long (4' long), I have a breeding pair of Angels, 5 Cory Cats (soon to be 10), a Bristle Nose Pleco and 5 Kerri Tetras. I had to move 2 other Angles from this tank and add them to my 265g tank with Bloody Parrots.

The Angels are chasing my Kerri Tetras and they are ending up in my filter overflow box. (RIP)

The Angel's that paired, would not let the other 2 Angels out from one corner of the tank so I had to move the ones in hiding. Angels can be very aggressive once they pair.

I would suggest sticking with bottom dwellers and 1 pair of Angels as a final stocking list for 40 gallons.

Ken

7. nippybetta

I might add that once my angels paired up they practically killed the other angel in the tank... fortunately, he recovered quickly, and I had a 75g tank nearly done cycling.

When they've got eggs (like now) my angels are very aggressive towards the pleco in their tank- it's good that he has lots of hiding places.

8. OP
    OP
    b

ok so just angels i will need to get 6 angels, wait till they pair off, then take them back to my petstore( they accept fish ) and keep the best looking pair. lol. how can i tell once they have paired off?

9. nippybetta

Sometimes they'll just lay eggs... then you really know, but by that stage they'll probably by bullying the others. They'll probably start going off on their own a lot and will practically always be together. Right before they spawn they'll clean off a spawning site and become very territorial. The female will get fatter. Both fish's papillas will become prominent.

Rogue and Catsma probably know more about how to tell when they're pairing up than I do- see if they'll help you.l

10. OP
    OP
    b

ok thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice