Angelfish won't eat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mcrousse, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mcrousse

mcrousse Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I have had a new angelfish a tad bit larger than quarter size in a 10g QT for 2 weeks and 3 days now (I know that's not big but it was all I had and I figured a 10g QT was better than no QT at all). He won't eat. At first, every now and then, he would bite at flakes and then spit them back out. Now he won't touch anything. I have tried tropical flakes (with and without adding organic minced garlic), Omega 1 veggie flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis, algae wafers, and dried tubifex worms - nothing seems to interest him. I've let the flakes float, I have stirred them up in a little water to make them slowly sink. He is not acting sick, he leisurely swims around the aquarium and seems alert, but just ignores food. His belly does not look sunken in, just flat. I did treat him with a round of API General Cure in case he had parasites. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Try frozen/thawed brine shrimp mine absolutely freak over them. Is he acting really skittish? When smaller they act kind of like schoolers and can be stressed if he doesn't feel secure. The tank size, while small, is fine for short term for qt imo. I qt'd 6 dimes and nickels in a ten with no problems.

3. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Live food could be the temptation needed......you could try live blackworms. It might be some work to teach the angel to eat frozen food if they decide to love the live food, but ive found it really easy. Rinse the worms, feed the fishys, put em back innthe fridge

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice