Angelfish With White Spot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bislewl, Apr 8, 2017.

1. b

bislewl New Member Member

This poor little guy has been breeding (not on purposely by me) steady for the last few weeks with it's 3rd set turning to free swimmers on Thursday. Both parents doing well protecting their young in a community tank. But Thursday I found him nose buried into the corner of the tank. So I moved him to a 10 gallon isolation tank that. I noticed he was pretty beaten up. He's not eating, even bloodworms. Now Saturday he has this white dot. It does NOT look like ick, had that before. And all the other fish appear healthy. Ideas? [​IMG]

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Is it fuzzy or does it look kinda slimy? I'd lean towards a bacterial (maybe fungal) infection in which case you should probably use some meds. Doing frequent water changes (2-4 a week) as well as using some sort of med should hopefully get him feeling better. What meds do you have on hand?

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Costia ?

4. OP
    OP
    b

bislewl New Member Member

To me it looks fuzzy. I have no medications on hand except some ick treatment. What medicine should I buy?

5. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

The ich meds that have malachite green and formalin are also good for treating bacterial/fungal infections when used as a bath. Methylene blue should also work, it's great for fungal infection. If you are talking about Quick Cure I would grab a bucket big enough for the angel to comfortably fit in and then add 10ish drops per gallon, add an air stone and let the fish soak for about half an hour. You can float the bucket in the main tank to keep the temp up. Don't add the meds to the quarantine tank as it will kill the beneficial bacteria and do more harm that good. Keep an eye on the fish and if he starts having a hard time then take him out.

Do this for a couple days and see if he/she starts looking better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice