Angelfish With Platy?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by guppylover228, Apr 16, 2017.

1. guppylover228

guppylover228 Valued Member Member

I've gotten mixed results online about wether or not an angelfish could go in my community tank with my platy, harlequin rasboras, and cories. Any opinions from people who have experience with any of these?

2. swordtail123

swordtail123 Valued Member Member

I had 4 angelfish with swordtails (which are similar to platys) and corries and they got along just fine, to be honest I had a problem with my swordtails nipping my catfish but my angelfish can keep them away because they didn't want to be messed with. :)

Are the smaller fish already established in the aquarium ?

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

This depends on your tank size. I had kept platys with my two breeding angels in their medium-planted 20g(as an emergency when their 5g started leaking and I didn't have enough $ to buy a new one at the time) and had no problems. I personally don't think it may be too big of a problem as long as you provide lots of cover, foliage, etc (in other words, areas where your angel can't reach them) and a place for your angel to establish its territory. They most likely won't bother the corys.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have kept all those together with no issues. The main thing is that you have a large enough aquarium for the angels. A 37 gal becomes too small for one fully grown angel. We just had to move the one in a 37 gallon to a 55. She was in with platties and mollies and never had an issue. I have had razzys and angels in a 55 for years and not one problem.

5. OP
    OP
    guppylover228

guppylover228 Valued Member Member

This might be a dumb question but why can people keep a breeding pair in a 20 but a single angelfish can't be kept in one? My tank is a 20 high and it's almost 2 feet high. Would that be okay for an angelfish that usually maxes out at 10? If even that?

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

It is not a dumb question :) I think it is a judgement call. I have raised and bred angels for years and find that any thing smaller than a 37 to be cramped for one angel. This is from observing the difference between the way they act in small tanks the way they act in larger tanks along with their quality and length of life. Our angels routinely live past 5 years (Fred was 7). My opinion is that with the size of a full grown angel and the lack of swimming room the larger tanks are needed.

As for size angels get larger than 10" full grown in a proper sized tank. I have two angels now in different tanks (44 and 55 gallons) that fin to fin are around 11" and are less than 1 year old." Keep in mind that fish kept in tanks too small will not grow to their full size.

7. Corrie Williamson

Corrie Williamson Valued Member Member

The female in my breeding pair of angelfish tormented my platys and cories. I eventually moved the platys out as they are top swimmers but the c ories are able to hide as bottom dwellers so I left them in and gave them more hiding spaces.

However the 4 angels in my larger tank couldn't care less about the platys in their tank. They chase each other all over the tank instead of bugging the platys and cories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice