Angelfish With Nipped Fin

EDrop

Reaction score
So to set things up, we got a tank from my brother in law over a few weeks ago with 3 fish, two angels and a very large tetra that has lived through a lot. After cycling the water and checking levels we slowly added fish, 2 more angels, 2 sharks and a sucker (im not sure how to spell the actual name). Everything seemed to be going well. We added the 3rd angelfish and no one seemed to be bothered. After adding the 4th angelfish Ive been seeing it nip constantly at the 3rd angelfish. Tonight I noticed that my little 3rd angelfish has an injured fin. It seems like it has been biten/nipped/ripped possibly by the newest member. Ive heard that their fins can regrow but I am not sure what to do at this point. Any help or suggestions?

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, four angels in a 60 gal should be fine since the rule is 20 gal for the first angel and 10 gal for each additional. How are each of your angels? Are they standard angels? Veil-tail? Are there any tall plants or the like to help non dominant angels hide? Which fin is injured? Side fins/top fin/bottom fin? Is it red? Or is it just ripped? How is the injured fish swimming?
Knowing the answer to these questions will help me out alot so that I can help you

EDrop

Reaction score
I added pictures of all 4 so you can tell the type. The one that is injured is the yellow/black one, and the one that is the bully is the bright yelloworangish one. The fin that is injured is the pectoral fin, the side one on left if you are looking at the fish. The fin just looks ripped, I havent seen redness or signs of infection. The fish is swimming ok but staying mainly new the bottom. When the other fish chases the injured one he swins fast, but at ti.es swims without using the hurt fin. Currently we have a few, not real, plants and a little cave. We are waiting for new rock to come in and then will be adding more The injured fish spends a lot of ti.e in the cave and pops out when it sees thay we are home. He ventured out more tonight but I was by the tank for a long time.
Snapchat-1442834331.jpg
Snapchat-1676130013.jpg
20180423_204018.jpg
20180423_203424.jpg

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, these are all standard angels. I was wondering because the Veil-tail angels, longer dorsal fins tend to be a little more sensative with their fins. From what I can tell, they are all the same size, which is good. How long have the angels been together? If there is no red on the fin, then you should be fine. Ripped fins are common with angels. Its not always due to nipping, it sometimes just splits due to stress which can come from the bullying. If red begins to appear on the fin you might have a problem. If they have recently been introduced, it is highly likely that the angels are establishing the "pecking order" dominant to recessive. This frequent aggression tends to go away after a few weeks. Adding some non-nipping small fish would be a good idea since they help distract the angels. I believe this agression is mainly due to the angels establishing their territories in the new tank. If ALL the angels begin to target the injured angel, you must remove it. If they are not letting the angel eat, that can also be of worry.

EDrop

Reaction score
Update for you: We came home from work tonight and my dear injured angel was dead on the filter. Not sure what happened as everyone seemed content this morning. I would eventually like to get another angel but I am worried thw yelloworangeish one might bully new ones we get. Thoughts???
King o´ Angelfish said:
Ok, these are all standard angels. I was wondering because the Veil-tail angels, longer dorsal fins tend to be a little more sensative with their fins. From what I can tell, they are all the same size, which is good. How long have the angels been together? If there is no red on the fin, then you should be fine. Ripped fins are common with angels. Its not always due to nipping, it sometimes just splits due to stress which can come from the bullying. If red begins to appear on the fin you might have a problem. If they have recently been introduced, it is highly likely that the angels are establishing the "pecking order" dominant to recessive. This frequent aggression tends to go away after a few weeks. Adding some non-nipping small fish would be a good idea since they help distract the angels. I believe this agression is mainly due to the angels establishing their territories in the new tank. If ALL the angels begin to target the injured angel, you must remove it. If they are not letting the angel eat, that can also be of worry.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have encountered pairing of angelfish aggression, meaning you are going to keep having this problem because you have adult angels that are trying to breed. Pick the two angels you like the best and rehome the third one or you likely will come home to another dead angel, they can kill each other as you have experienced so it would be best to plan now which angels you can't live without, they have proven they are willing to kill interlopers and it likely will happen again if you try to disrupt the order they have established, if you do not rearrange be fire adding new cichlids or have tall sight breaks they will go after each other (I have juvenile angels that are already this aggressive to even their siblings). I am carefully to have tons of sight breaks to prevent fights or deaths.
They need space but they can also be complete turds at times.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom